Chroma Key

Daniel_Runyon

Well-known member
I think I'm using the proper term there.
What exactly do I need to get ahold of to shoot bluescreen(or green). I'm guessing you (much like Photoshop works) shoot the stuff, then tell the application to remove that color and then you have the isolated subject, no? I have Vegas 4e and Premier 6.0. What exactly do I need, and need to know to try this out, and for the bare minimum budget. I want to be able to shoot people and minimize them a'la Honey I Shrank The Kids. Mucho Appreciamundo Amigos!
 
Re: Chroma Key

I don't know Vegas, but Premiere can do the effects you want. Something like After Effects will do it much better, though, you can use mattes automatically (rather than having to render out a matte, and then messig around with it as a separate video layer in Premiere).

Basically, make sure while shooting to have an even light on the green (or blue) background. Make sure to backlight the subjects, so that they're separated from the background, and there's as little green or blue spill as possible (and by this I mean the background's colour leaking onto the subject). If you shoot it right, it'll look good in post. But shooting it right is the most important, you can have the best compositing software and still get crappy results if you haven't shot it well.
 
Re: Chroma Key

On your software question, yes, Vegas 4.0 can do it, it has an excellent keying utility, one of the best.
 
Re: Chroma Key

thank you very much guys. what do I need as far as the green/blue screen itself? what does the very poor man use? any links to specific producs(or just telling what to search for)? I seriously appreciate the info you guys gave, thanks!
 
Re: Chroma Key

Use Green.

Poor mans version is something like this:

cinemasupplies_1776_112315614



Chroma Key Green Screen (aka Chromakey Green) Foam Backed Fabric, 60" Wide- Sold by the yard. One bolt is 40 yards. The felt like face is specially designed for green screen work. Chromakey Green Screen fabric asorbs light and has low reflectance qualities. It also has the ability to be streched and can be pulled tight on home-made frames. It also resists wrinkles; the #1 enemy of successful and evenly lit composite work. Designed for use with all chroma key 'effects' systems.

February Sale Price $17.90
 
Re: Chroma Key

One way to get less spill on the actor is to set the lights to the side and angle them in. Don't set the lights behind the camera and light the screen. I saw this on a gig one time. Imagine that you are throwing a tennis ball against the wall. If if you throw it straight at the wall, it will bounce right back to you. If you stand and throw it to the side at the wall, it will bounce off the wall and go the other way. That is sort of how light works, so just place your talent in the middle of the bounce. It's kind of hard to explain, but I hope my tennis ball thing helped. That was how the DP explained it to me...
 
Re: Chroma Key

Hi guys, I’ve successfully done some keying work before. By that I mean I’ve shot scenes against chroma screens and handed them to my FX compositor and he’s never grumbled at me! Unfortunately he’s away and I’m trying it for my self using Adobe AE. I’ve shot a product sat on a rotating platform {that’s also to be keyed out} so it spins in centre frame. I’ve used an orange screen as there are shades of blue and green in the product its self. I’m having real trouble getting a clean key. I’ve pasted a JPEG still of the shot so you can see.

Should I be able to get a clean Key from this scene I’ve not had trouble in the past but then again I’ve never keyed with orange before??!! Was keying with this colour a bad idea, what do you suggest keying with when Blue and Green aren’t an option? There’s some bounce on the product and shadow on the spinning screen but not a huge amount, don’t most keying programmes have algorithms to handle bounce and shadow? Can any1 suggest any settings for AE which might help or other programmes which are better at keying {which wont hurt my wallet}

Any help much appreciated!

 
Back
Top