Christian horror movie??

David W. Richardson

Chapelgrove Films
There's something I've wondered for awhile...

As indie filmmakers, we all know that one of the easiest things to do if you want to make a movie that will sell is to make a horror movie. The horror genre is one of the easiest to break into without 'name' actors or big budgets. But as a Christian filmmaker, I don't want to make a horror movie -- at least, not a traditional 'blood and boobs' horror movie.

So I've wondered -- is it possible to make a Christian horror movie??

I would think Christians are directly involved with the greatest battle between Good and Evil that there is. So how could a story be developed that would interest a horror audience, and yet still glorify Christ?

Can it be done? Tell me what you think.
 
Good point. I never really considered that a 'Christian' movie even though it has priests in it fighting against the devil. But maybe others do. Have to give that some thought.

Anything more recent?
 
David,

I think a movie made from some of Frank Peretti's books would qualify. For example, "This Present Darkness"?
 
Passion of the Christ was sort of a horror movie. I mean it had all the elements of one: a lot of gore, killing, supernatural evil.
 
So I've wondered -- is it possible to make a Christian horror movie??...Can it be done? Tell me what you think.

Yeah...

Just make a movie where the atheists are proven right all along.



Actually, I do have an idea for a sort of dark thriller...never considered it Christian (I usually don't agree with making money on religious beliefs...no offense to the two brothers in St. Catherines who keep making those Left Behind type films.), but I guess it very much is.

One of my profs from film school actually directed a film for those Lalonde Brothers...Apocalypse. Sad to find out he passed away back in 2005.
 
Last edited:
Yeah...

Just make a movie where the atheists are proven right all along.



Actually, I do have an idea for a sort of dark thriller...never considered it Christian (I usually don't agree with making money on religious beliefs...no offense to the two brothers in St. Catherines who keep making those Left Behind type films.), but I guess it very much is.

One of my profs from film school actually directed a film for those Lalonde Brothers...Apocalypse. Sad to find out he passed away back in 2005.

I'm not so sure that making money off a Christian film is any worse than, say, selling Bibles or Christian books or music. I guess what's important is what you do with the money. Then there's the guy who made 'Flywheel' and 'Facing The Giants' -- both movies were financed by his church, and all profits went back to the church. I don't know if he paid himself out of the budget for his work or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Making Christian movies should be about communicating ideas, just like other movies. The message is what's important.

My sympathies about your prof.
 
I'm not so sure that making money off a Christian film is any worse than, say, selling Bibles or Christian books or music. I guess what's important is what you do with the money. Then there's the guy who made 'Flywheel' and 'Facing The Giants' -- both movies were financed by his church, and all profits went back to the church. I don't know if he paid himself out of the budget for his work or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Making Christian movies should be about communicating ideas, just like other movies. The message is what's important.

My sympathies about your prof.

It is just something that doesn't sit well with me, personally. Others should do what their conscience lets them.

You are correct about it being what you do with the money. I get sick to my stomach when I see preachers on TV asking for money to spread the message while wearing tailor made $3000 suits and sitting on sets that must cost tens of thousands of dollars just for the decoration. It doesn't add up.

I see Christian horror films every time I watch these guys talk about money, how we should all be rich and successful, how financial harvests shall be reaped...as long as we tithe, yet they don't even bother talking about the human soul anymore.

No money in it, I suppose.
 
It is just something that doesn't sit well with me, personally. Others should do what their conscience lets them.

You are correct about it being what you do with the money. I get sick to my stomach when I see preachers on TV asking for money to spread the message while wearing tailor made $3000 suits and sitting on sets that must cost tens of thousands of dollars just for the decoration. It doesn't add up.

I see Christian horror films every time I watch these guys talk about money, how we should all be rich and successful, how financial harvests shall be reaped...as long as we tithe, yet they don't even bother talking about the human soul anymore.

No money in it, I suppose.

Nihil sub sole novum

As for the christian horror film, I guess the problem is that the history of Christianity is laden with great horror material. Unfortunately, the Christians are more likely than not the ones committing the horrors.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "glorifying Christ."

I might look at something like the Underground Railroad for inspiration. Would not be too much of a stretch to push that into the genre, and it has some Christians behaving rather well.

Also, you might want to read "The Stand," maybe that will give you some ideas too. It's got a lot of God/Devil stuff in there, but still maintains a lot of very well drawn characters.
 
Last edited:
It is just something that doesn't sit well with me, personally. Others should do what their conscience lets them.

You are correct about it being what you do with the money. I get sick to my stomach when I see preachers on TV asking for money to spread the message while wearing tailor made $3000 suits and sitting on sets that must cost tens of thousands of dollars just for the decoration. It doesn't add up.

I see Christian horror films every time I watch these guys talk about money, how we should all be rich and successful, how financial harvests shall be reaped...as long as we tithe, yet they don't even bother talking about the human soul anymore.

No money in it, I suppose.

I completely respect your opinion on this.
 

Nothing new under the sun?....Yes, that is why I don't give the Catholic church any money, even though I am Catholic.

When I see them crying poor, yet the Pope wears a hat studded with rubies and emaralds, it offends me.

Unfortunately, the Christians are more likely than not the ones committing the horrors.
There was a scene in 3rd Watch where one of the ambulance guys asks with all the cruelty and inhumanity in the world, how can the other have faith in G-d?...and his partner responds by asking with all the cruelty and inhumanity in the world, how can he have faith in Man?

We were clubbing each other to death long before we dragged a supernatural third party into it...
 
something random that had nothing to do with my post...

What the **** are you talking about? I was making a specific reference to things like the Inquisition, Salem, etc, things in Christian history that would make good horror material. But the problem with using that stuff as horror material, is that the horrors are generally perpetrated by the "good" guys. That was my point.
 
I must've missed something.

At any rate, what I was thinking about was mainly a story with a Christian lead character who is faced with some sort of Ultimate Evil -- a demonic force or demon-possessed person, for instance -- that he or she has to do battle with, relying on the strength of his or her faith.
 
Since the scourge of atrocity known as CBM exists, I certainly entertain the possibility of a sheepers horror film.

Perhaps check your local TBN. And wear protection.
 
Folks, do we have to take this as an invitation to slam Christians? I was just asking about a concept for a movie -- not for a bashing of anyone's faith.
 
I must've missed something.

At any rate, what I was thinking about was mainly a story with a Christian lead character who is faced with some sort of Ultimate Evil -- a demonic force or demon-possessed person, for instance -- that he or she has to do battle with, relying on the strength of his or her faith.

That's pretty typical stuff. Look at "The Stand." It's a good read anyway. Also, watch Buffy. Lot of the same kind of themes, phrased differently, but handled very very well, with superb characters. Amazing writing.

Also, even though I found it a terrible film, that film Signs does the same kind of thing with aliens. Really bad aliens, but aliens nonetheless.
 
Back
Top