Character Driven?

I guess it would depend on where most of the focus is in the story. Is the character the main focus or is it the plot? Someone like Mamet writes intricate plots and still manages complex character development. I guess you could call "Glengary Glen Ross" a character-driven movie.
 
Character driven stories are just that, Stories that are driven by the Character (like the choices they make always creating other problems).

Most other stories are the opposite, they tell a Story that features Characters.

EJ
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say every story is character driven by it's very definition. Every story (even 'popcorn') involves characters making choices...that's the story. Having a building explode, no matter how intricate, is not a story...it's an event. The following actions and choices characters choose make it a story.
There is always character development. I will say many times it is weak, boring, and superficial, but it is still there on some level. Has to be.
That said, I know what people are talking about when they delineate between Character driven and plot driven. I just think it's a bit misleading...just my opinion though.

-Mischief
 
Back
Top