Canon BP Batteries as powerbank?

roxics

Veteran
Does anyone know of a way to use these batteries as a powerbank with USB output for charging phones and things. It seems like someone should make some kind of adapter for these, I believe they exist for Sony batts. I couldn’t find anything for the Canon. Which would be nice since I have a bunch of Canon batts that would be great to use in a power outage.
 
I haven't seen anything for the Canon batteries, but if you have a soldering iron, it would be pretty simple to wire a couple plates together in parallel and add a step-down converter and USB-A port.
 
You can buy 3rd party batteries now a days that have a USB A port. This might be handy if you have an accessory attached to the camera such as a wireless receiver . V mount batteries are the most common choice for powering multiple devices. For non camera accessories people will get a power banks. More powerful and inexpensive.

If velcro is your thing you could attach power bank where you need it.
 
I haven't seen anything for the Canon batteries, but if you have a soldering iron, it would be pretty simple to wire a couple plates together in parallel and add a step-down converter and USB-A port.

That may be the route I have to take. Or maybe some halfway solution. I know they make these adapters for Sony batteries to USB output.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1673683-REG/andycine_bp_npf_np_f_battery_plate_with.html

One solution might be to get something like that and an adapter plate to convert Canon BP style batteries to a Sony NP-F mount. That does exist. But at $80, that's too much for this in my opinion.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1746788-REG/hawk_woods_bp_dv_sony_npf_to_canon.html
 
You can buy 3rd party batteries now a days that have a USB A port. This might be handy if you have an accessory attached to the camera such as a wireless receiver . V mount batteries are the most common choice for powering multiple devices. For non camera accessories people will get a power banks. More powerful and inexpensive.

If velcro is your thing you could attach power bank where you need it.

Yeah I've seen those, they're pretty cool. If I ever need more camera batts i'll probably go with that style. But right now I've got enough OEM Canon batteries. I typically keep them charged up for shoots, so it would be great to be able to use them for other things during a power outage. Especially since they're just sitting there all charged up. Meanwhile I'm racing around trying to find solutions to power my phone and laptop for a couple days. So It's a waste they'e just sitting there uptapped.

I picked up a similar power inverter the other day for my Ryobi batteries. So I at least have that now. My Ryobi batteries just weren't charged up. :( I don't use my power tools as often as my cameras. So I don't think to check their battery status pretty much ever. Even then, for their huge size (about three times that of my Canon batts), they seem to be only 4000 mah compared to my Canon batts at 7800 mah. Which surprises me. But I guess a lot of that is probably ruggedness added around the power cell to protect it on job sites and stuff. I'm not really sure. Or maybe the higher voltage output has something to do with it. I don't know.
 
Last edited:
Many modern drill batteries use 18650 3.7v cells, 5 cells in series and some more in parallel to increase the amps hours.
 
Back
Top