Can you mix Fluorescent with Tungsten In a Chromakey Studio?

Ken1212

Well-known member
Is it acceptable to light the greenscreen with fluorescents and the subject with tungsten as long as I keep them seperated? Would I have to use 3200k fluorescents to match color? This is a 10' wide by 18' long greenscreen setup (height of screen will be about 7.5') , I will be shooting full body. Thanks
 
I would imagine that, since the purpose of the green screen is to get an even color that's not common amongst people and clothing, that so long as you keep it green, it doesn't matter what color the light is-- only what color the screen is.

That does mean, of course, that if you shine the flourescents on there and the green screen ends up being yellow, you'll have to gel something somewhere.

Of course, I don't have any actual experience lighting a greenscreen with different sources, so I'm only speculating.
 
The greenscreen lighting is purely to get a consistent green which can later be removed, so in that sense yes the foreground can be lit at a completely different colour temperature. Watch out for spill though - if parts of your greenscreen background pick up some foreground lighting than you could end up with an inconsistent green that's awkward to key later.
 
Clang is correct ..but a bit more explanation FWIW

You actually do need to match your color temperature of your BG lights with your camera color temperature ( in a practical sense because there are exceptions)

Shooting the green screen shot requires you to get a "proper pure saturated green". You do not want that shifted by mis matching the lighting and the camera setting.

They need to match ( fairly closely).

The subject lighting color temp can be what you want as long as you dont get too close to your key color.

The col temp exception for lighting a chroma screen would be for instance - using green fluoro tubes which obviously are not tungsten or daylight balanced ( but super effective for lighting and pulling green screens.

Fluoros come in daylight and tungsten color temps. Beware of using normal domestic or industrial tubes which are usually color spiked and cyclicla.
 
Thank you guys for the input, wondering if a 4' fluorescent tubes are good for subject key/fill or is it better to use something like lowel DP tungsten. I have a lowel DP kit and few single and double koolhead fluorescent fixtures. I am lighting a small room that is 16' wide by 18' long and 8' high. The green screen is 10x16 for full body shots.
 
Pretty small room to be doing full length body shots in.

The height of the room is going to bone you every which way.

In saying that ..I have shot a key in a room of a similar height but is was a waist up shot. That was difficult enough for me not to want to do it again.
 
This is the largest room I have to work with, the ceiling itself is actualy 9' long, the green screen will be about 7' to 8' feet high. This is a game room with a small bar area, the 18' length dosn't include the bar area, I am able to setup the camera at 19' from the wall without the bar getting in the shot and 21' with the side portion of the bar in the shot, I figuired since I will be shooting everything in manual mode I can delete anything outside my main subject with a garbage mat in post. I have done some tests with the size of the room and I figuired I should be fine as long as my subject is not taller than 6.5' (I might have to shoot with my camera slightly tilted down to avoid getting light in the lens as I hade in mind setting up couple single head fluorescents in the ceiling). I was going to light the green screen with lights 5' to 6' from the screen and place my subject two feet front for a total of 7 to 8 feet from the back wall, that leaves me about twelve feet from my subject. I am hoping it will all make sence when I am all done:Drogar-Thinking(DBG
 
Back
Top