can anyone recommend a good transition pack for Premiere?

nickbeef

Active member
I'm looking to buy a transition pack for Premiere, but there seems to be quite a few options out there. To be honest, watching the demo videos that each company puts out, they all look pretty bad, but that's generally just the fault of the demo videos.

Before I drop my money on one of the packs, I want to get some feedback on which one is worth the money.

Ok, so far the best candidates seem to be:

NewBlueFX - Transitions 3 Ultimate - $399
Red Giant - Universe - $399
FilmImpact.net - Transitions Pack 1,2, & 3 bundle - $179
Accevolution - Transition Designer FULL - $195
Boris - Continuum Unit: Transitions - $199
Genarts - Sapphire 8 - $450


Now to be honest, I'm expecting that 95% of the time, I will only be using one or two transitions, so the idea of spending about $400 for probably 3 transitions that will a little time and effort I can build myself, seems crazy. However the few that I do use (like a good "glow dissolve") would be great to have.

Anybody have good or bad experience with any of these products or could reccomend another product, it would be great to hear what you think.
 
Generally speaking 95 percent of your stuff is probably going to be cuts, over use of any transitions generally starts to look cheesy. Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to mention that the cut is still the most used and preferred transition.
 
If you download the Transition Pack 1 from Film Impact, you get a few freebies that do not include a watermark. Depends on what you're working on, but the freebies they have in pack 1 have worked well for me. And Greg_E is right, overuse of transitions, especially if you use multiple different transitions back-to-back, looks very cheesy.
 
I think they all have demos available for download.

I have clients that want crap flying all about with whiz bang zing, but I agree with the above. They look cheesy.

I prefer a cut 95% of the time.
 
Yeah, I agree straight cuts are bread and butter, but I also use dip-to-whites all the time, and dip to blacks to a lesser extent, and of course cross-dissolves. These are all in Premiere by default, yes. There is a sort of "blooming glow dissolve" that I use a lot, by manually key framing the "exposure" parameter on the "procAmp" effect from 0 to 100. Although I wish I had a better alternative because it rarely goes 100% white, like I'd want it.

But, come on guys, some times a little cheese is necessary. Right now I've got a sort of corporate non-profit client who wants a "sizzle" reel of their rather boring fundraiser footage, complete with upbeat, driving dance music. Since the footage doesn't scream "exciting" I'm trying to add a little bit to the edit to carry the mood. This isn't a crazy, unusual request. Think reality TV or daytime "Jerry Springer" type intros.
 
Check out the Pixelan offerings. I opted to go with their "Spicemaster" set which lets you do some nice patterned dissolves. I think I paid $69 for it.
 
I have sapphire, boris and newblueFX and I use newblueFX by far the most because they drop right on the timeline working by default just like the premiere built-in transitions do without having to adjust any keyframes or do anything. The reason is because of time, not because they are necessarily better. And if you get the ultimate (all of them) then you get those commonly used glow transitions, plus subtle ones in addition to the more extravagant ones like mentioned early with stuff flying around or even turning metallic, shimmer etc...
 
My favorite. FilmImpact.net - Transitions Pack 1,2, & 3 bundle - $179

I get a ton of Cheezy wiz from these for my promo work.
 
Back
Top