Camera and lens storage?

firehawk

Veteran
Hi guys. For decades I've had no issues but I am moving into a studio which is a garage/shop turned into a studio and do not want to have fungus or other issues. The studio has a new 24k A/C unit and my plans are to keep it around 65F in the winter and about 80F in the summer when not being used and then adjust the temp for shoots. The cameras plan to stay in camera bags with silica packets inside on a shelf. If that is a bad idea I could make space in office.

Outside I have a 20ft long shipping container with 10 vents, coated the roof with cool roof coat, and it is never in full sun because the studio bldg largely shields it. I am storing some stuff out there but am afraid that c-stands, tripods etc may rust since the outside temp can range from -5F to 115F with high humidity. So plan to store all that in the studio?

Thoughts?
 
I definitely wouldn't store C stands anywhere where temperature and humidity vary a lot. They can look nice on the outside and inside they get rusty and difficult to use. Simple stuff like speed rail you can wipe off if it oxidizes.

Desiccant packs for lenses are great, using a dehumidifier in the summer for your whole space will be cheaper than an air conditioner, if it needs it.
 
Get an accurate humidity gauge and go from there.

Regarding Fungus (from lens/fungus wiki)

"Proper storage of optical devices can prevent fungal growth. The fungus thrives at temperatures of 10C to 35C[SUP][6][/SUP] and relative humidity of 70% or more. Thus, dry and warm storage is recommended, but the temperature should not exceed 50C, and the humidity should not be below 30%, as this could damage the optics. The development of the fungus is also hindered by light.[SUP][7][/SUP]
  • The relative humidity should be between 30% and 60%.
  • A temperature of around 40C is preferred to prevent fungal growth.
  • Optical devices should be dried if necessary before they are packed up, or stored with desiccant.
  • The surfaces of the front and rear lenses should be kept free from dust, fibres and other organic material, so as not to provide nutrition for fungus.
  • Light and adequate ventilation should be provided."
Regarding Rust (from https://workshopcompanion.com/Demos...lassroom_files/Shop_Notes_Rust_Prevention.pdf

"Rust only forms when conditions are right – when there is enough water and air. Iron will
rust when the relative humidity in the air climbs above 50%, and steel rusts when the
relative humidity reaches 80%. If your shop is unheated, iron and steel tools will also rust
when the nights are cooler than the days. At dawn, the temperature of the air rises faster
than dense solids and moisture condenses on the cool metal surfaces. One way to
prevent rust is to change the shop environment – either heat the shop to keep the tools
surfaces warm or install a dehumidifier to remove the humidity from the air."
 
How about Pelican cases? I have some new big ones I haven't enlisted into use yet.

Sorry I am very tired and this was not clear at all. Do you guys think new empty pelican cases are ok to store in my shipping container that is vented, but not insulated and will get freezing temps in winter and hot in summer?
 
Sorry I am very tired and this was not clear at all. Do you guys think new empty pelican cases are ok to store in my shipping container that is vented, but not insulated and will get freezing temps in winter and hot in summer?

Do you mean just storing the Pelican cases themselves in the shipping container, or gear in them and in the shipping container? Empty, sealed cases, sure. But I wouldn't store cameras and lenses and other sensitive type stuff in the cases in the shipping container, long term.
 
Thank you. I mean empty pelican cases in the shipping container.
They are tough but cold and hot and humidity are still hard on things so I wasn't sure
 
Back
Top