C4D DOF problem... need immediate help

djembeplay

Well-known member
Hey guys...

Well, OK... here I am... I found myself in a time crunch to get these projects done. I seem to be having a strange issue with c4d. I am trying to use a DOF effect... and it works wonderfully except for one thing... transparent objects. I have some windows where... if I focus on the window... C4D treats everything coming through the window as if it is at the same distance with regards to the DOF.

The windows aren't a big deal for this project... but this is: It seems to be happening to my video I have placed in the scene as well. I layed the video textures (people) on a flat polygon. After applying the alpha channel, only the person remains and not the background as to be expected... and this works and looks great. But... if I focus on a person in the foreground... there is a box of clearness where the rest of the picture is transparent due to the alpha channel.

I looked for some sort of a DOF tag but didn't see anything.

Any ideas?
 
Yeah, DOF in Cinema is a pain in the a...

I was wrestling with that problem and ended up to render out DOF as a aditional greymask (it is in your render settings), bring it over to After Effects and do the whole shbang there. You got better controll over DOF there anyways.

Hope that helps.

Frank
 
Hmm... this is my first C4D project so I'm a little fuzzy on some things still. What is a greymask?

Thanks for the help.
 
It's clearly documented in Cinema 4D's help system that DOF doesn't play nice with transparency. It also mentions how to overcome the problem as well.

Seriously, I have to rant here...if you can't check the manual first then you shouldn't be posting and asking for help. If you search "depth of field" it clearly explains (in a grey box that is very visible) that the Advanced Renderer DOF is a post effect and therefore has issues with transparency, etc.

To help, go to the render settings and turn on multi-pass then select the depth channel from the drop down and it will render out a depth pass that can be used in AE to simulate DOF.
 
Back
Top