Buying FCP Studio?

Beaker

Active member
I have FC Express and have an opportunity to buy the whole studio sweet at $699 for teacher discount. My question is I know that the Intel based Macs are coming in a year and a half. Is it worth limping along with FC express until a version of Studio comes out for the new Macs, or just go for the current version?? I don't like posing questions like this, because the decision ultimately lies with me (my money, my decision), but this new platform stuff is creeping me out (Shame on me for buying the latest G5 last year...I usually buy the middle level computer :happy: )
 
Wait a minute... you already own a dual G5? If so, it's a no brainer. Buy the FCP Studio. It's meant for your computer. It will excel on your computer. Basically your statement reads as i'm going to use a fraction of my current machines capabilities and wait to drop another 4 grand on a machine that will serve the same purpose as the machine i already have, then use it to it's capabilities.

Why wait to buy a whole new computer plus software when you have a great machine already. Plus, when it comes time to do the switch I'm sure mac will have a method for upgrading the software to work on the new systems.
 
Go ahead.
It may be 2 years before all the high end systems get switched.
New software comes out every year.
New versions will be compiled to run on both platforms.
Small note- the educational versions can't be upgraded. You'll need to buy a full new educational version when you decide tto upgrade.
 
Thanks...I beleive the education price of Studio ($699) is the same price as an upgrade for the reatail version ($1,299, $699 for an upgrade). If I am not mistaken, it is Apple's thinking not to be redundant. I would, however, have a whole studio package that would be useless after an upgrade....maybe donate it to another school (Tax deduction!!!!!!!)
 
Also, it is illegal to use an Education version for anything outside of a school, such as for profit.
 
The Intel isue is no issue. I am deciding on a new mac and the change to Apple is not affecting my decisions at all. In two years, there might be a nice Intel machine out there. In that time, I have to earn a living for two years, which is a good segment of my life. I don't intend to wait. Maybe they will all announce they'll switch to 128bit processors after that, or some new technology, what do I do? Wait? Even after those two years a good Mac will be an excellent machine. If you buy the best, it tends to last.
 
PowerMacs won't be transitioned to intel until 07' according to the press release Apple put out. Go with FCP Studio.

~reservoir~
 
Go for the purchase and let the creativity flow with the new options that you'll have......

OT:
I was going to wait for the Intel Macs but it just didn't make sense. My G5 will still be a beast for the next few years regardless of what comes out. :thumbup: :beer:
 
Back
Top