Buy a G5 now or later?

molocono

Active member
I dunno if I should upgrade to a dual 2.3 G5 right now or wait for the Intel machines. I do video editing, audio production, and graphics work and I need a faster machine (currently have a G4 933). Should I wait for the Intels or go for a G5 now? I just don't want my machine to be obsolete so soon. Thanks!
 
Intels are coming probably June/july.

If you want the last model, wait a little.

Maybe after the intels come around we'll see some nice price drops on G5s, who knows... A Dual Core G5 2.0 or 2.3 for around 1000/1500 seems like a good deal. Will they drop that much? Only time will tell...
 
i got a dual 2 and it's cool not much faster than my 1.6 g5 was. I would wait till the intel macs come out, but it really depends on what type of videos you make. If it's motion graphics then yeah upgrade now motion is the shizzle. If just cuts,dissolves,3 way color correction,simple titles, then maybe you should wait. But if it is that then don't upgrade ha! i upgraded so I could edit hdv. I sadly haven't edited any hdv yet.
 
if you can, i would wait for the intel machines. they will have a significant speed boost. my new macbook pro seems on par with my G5 quad.
 
Will my current software be able to run on the Intels?
(FCP studio, After Effects, Photoshop, Pro Tools, etc.)
 
Is the new intel going to be able to switch from apple to windows? or is that only in the new laptops?

Does anyone know where i can get the apple cinema displays cheap?
 
videoav said:
Is the new intel going to be able to switch from apple to windows? or is that only in the new laptops?
Bootcamp should allow any Intel Mac to boot into Windows.
 
You might also want to consider do you want a Revision A Intel Powermac, or would you want to wait on Rev. B or even Rev. C. It typically takes Apple a bit of refining to tweak some bugs out of their brand new systems. That's what I'm waiting on.

And not to mention Adobe has stated that CS3 (which will be universal) may not ship until next year. Ouch.

If you absolutely need speed now, can't wait on Adobe, and are a little suspicious of Rev. A products, you may be able to sell a used G5 and get a big chunk of your expenses back. Something to think about...
 
Back
Top