Black Level:  To crush now or later?

SamG

Active member
That is the question.

I have searched for the prevailing wisdom on this topic and come up empty.

Should I lower the black level in camera or in post?

Ordinarily I would try to achieve the desired look on set, but this brave new world (for me) of DIY color correction has me second guessing.

I will be shooting with a Setup of zero. Master ped, still up in the air...

Thanks!

SamG
 
Re: Black Level:  To crush now or later?

Ask yourself if the detail in the shadow areas of the frame is distracting from or adding to the general appeal of the frame and your subject. Then ask if you may change your mind later on, or if you are 100% sure you don't need that info. I personally used to crush in the camera, but then I realised I had more control in post of achieving a New "Look" if I left it more flat, and retained detail in the shadows. You can always add a similar effect in post by raising the blacks in "Levels" or "Curves" rather than "Contrast" sliders. I use After Effects for all color calibration and effects.
 
Back
Top