Best quality export out of AE?

Vertigo1

Member
When I work between PP1.5 and AE6.5 what settings keep the highest quality when exporting files? I use DV AVI for PP1.5 and that seems to keep all of the quality, but for exporting out of AE, I use Quicktime/compression none and it doesnt seem to keep the best quality? What settings maintain the best quality when exporting out of AE6.5? thanks
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

the best is the uncompressed way. Capture your clips then render them back out uncompress. Do what ever you want to your clip and when your done and ready to print to tape render them back to DV AVI. hope this helps.
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Bluespider, is there a way to keep the file size smaller? I import an uncompressed Quicktime clip from Vegas that is like 200 megs then I render out an uncompressed QT clip from AE and the thing is like 2 gigs (same clip with no changes)!!

thanks
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

I don't have AE 6.5 infront of me now, but I remember outputing DV AVI/NTSC footage from it, the same as PPro 1.5. With no loss. Are you using the Render Que? There's more options for output.

Using Uncompressed output will fill up your harddrives quick, you're right.

Good luck!
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Bluespider, is there a way to keep the file size smaller? I import an uncompressed Quicktime clip from Vegas that is like 200 megs then I render out an uncompressed QT clip from AE and the thing is like 2 gigs (same clip with no changes)!!

thanks

Lee, when your working with uncompressed files they can be huge, very huge. Yeah, I seem to notice that sometimes when I import something into AE at like 500meg uncompressed then renderd it back out and its like 2times larger. It doesn't happen to me anymore. I don't remember what I did but I just made sure I have the same exact export settings. Plus I also added additional information to my clip, so I can understand why mine came out alot larger. What version of AE are you running? Be sure to check your export settings agian, make sure they are iddentical.
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Young-H._Lee, when you render your ae video, you are rendering uncompress video wich is way larger than your dv-captured(compress video).
If you want to keep it smaller just go to your ae render out put options and choose dv instead of uncopress, this should give you a smaller FILE and already compress and ready to play it back without rendering in your editing system, (premier pro, vegas, fcp etc)
remember that uncompress video will be allways better than compress video(dv) so what I will recomend you is to keep rendering with uncompress set up for ae, and once your project is done make a dv movie on your editing software (premier pro, vegas, fcp etc) and erase the uncompress video that way you will getrid off the large file and keep the small one in your hard drive.

GOOD LUCK
AXENT
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Why even have uncompressed? You got it off the camera, and it's DV already, so there would be no loss if you kept rendering to DV quality..?
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

You might be right, but try to do a few fx and render w dv, and try with dv, you will see a difference on the quality of the fx. Aparently chromas spread more when the video is compress(example:dv).

If I am wrong about the chromas let me know

axent.


8)
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Use the animation compression.
It will give you the best quality you need.
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

[quote author=JKL link=board=AE;num=1101178950;start=0#10 date=12/07/04 at 05:12:28]Use the animation compression.
It will give you the best quality you need.[/quote]

I agree, I use the animation codec for almost everything I do, unless I am in an environment that needs a specific output like the Avid Meridien codec.
My thinking is that if you are going to output back to dv it's getting compressed again anyway, so using gigantic uncompressed files the entire time and then outputting to a VERY lossy format is a little counterproductive in my opinion. Of course you want to avoid losing quality in production, but for all intents and purposes the animation codec is a good balance of quality and file size/manageability.
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

I have the newest version of AE and I don't see an animation codec.... What the crap?!?!?
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

that's odd.. you on mac or pc?

And i second the animation codec. It's a clean codec for dv work.

Anyone using Pixlet?
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

I'm on PC....This sucks. Everytime I render the quality is still off... It pixels real bad on the edges. Very gross, I don't like, and I wish it would die! I've done everything that has been suggested thus far. It does fine in Premiere, but AE has some cool features I would love to use. So I would really like to correct this problem. And I will stomp my feet like a little kid until it's fixed. Anyway... Any new ideas? :-/
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?

Is there a difference between Microsoft AVI and DV AVI? I'm using AE 6.0 Pro and I usually select the Microsoft AVI.. so I should be using the DV AVI?
 
Re: Best quality export out of AE?


i've had this problem too, about 2/3rds of the time it renders really nice and the other 1/3 it looks like i captred some analog vhs footage.

i don't have a clue what i'm doing differently. if i stop and rerender it it will come out nice after a couple of tries at the most but it drives me nuts to not know what i'm doing differently.

kai?

matthew
 
Back
Top