Best profile and settings for low light live event (concert)?

alohype

Veteran
Hi everyone!
What would you recommend as a best profile and settings for shooting live low light event? In this case concert.
Thanks for all of your advices!
 
Hi Alohype,

check out this event video I made, using the fs700 with 7Q.
https://vimeo.com/124663980
Password: joza

if you like it, here are the settings.

Slog2, 2000 ISO default, 4K>HD on 7Q. However, because it was so, so low light (only low wattage practicals from the ceiling fans and streetlights, I switched th camera from ISO to Gain, and with the low, medium, high switch I programmed +3, +6 and +12db gain. Now beware, this footage came out super noisy so I had to run it through NR (Neatvideo). This is noticeable and not always my preferred method. But when it's the difference between getting the shot and not getting it, I'll gladly take noise reduction on these event types of situations.

Ah, I shot with a Nikkor 28mm AIS on a speedbooster. This helped out as well.
Best of luck with your shoot tonight. I hope this helps. I'm sure others might chime in with better advice too!
 
Hi Alohype,

check out this event video I made, using the fs700 with 7Q.
https://vimeo.com/124663980
Password: joza

if you like it, here are the settings.

Slog2, 2000 ISO default, 4K>HD on 7Q. However, because it was so, so low light (only low wattage practicals from the ceiling fans and streetlights, I switched th camera from ISO to Gain, and with the low, medium, high switch I programmed +3, +6 and +12db gain. Now beware, this footage came out super noisy so I had to run it through NR (Neatvideo). This is noticeable and not always my preferred method. But when it's the difference between getting the shot and not getting it, I'll gladly take noise reduction on these event types of situations.

Ah, I shot with a Nikkor 28mm AIS on a speedbooster. This helped out as well.
Best of luck with your shoot tonight. I hope this helps. I'm sure others might chime in with better advice too!

Many thanks for your reply! :) I do not have 7Q and as far as I remember some people were advising to use Cine profile for low light. Slog2 internally can be a pain to get it right in post :/
 
Many thanks for your reply! :) I do not have 7Q and as far as I remember some people were advising to use Cine profile for low light. Slog2 internally can be a pain to get it right in post :/

Ah, sure thing. Well, there are many ways to shoot internally and many people have their own preferences...based on their tastes, skills, post workflow, experience, etc. Slog2 is possible internally, and there are people that probably even prefer it. Some people say cinegamma 4 is best for shadow detail, some people shoot cinegamma 2 to protect highlights. Try pp6 (factory setting). I also have a custom pp that I use, because it gives me gradable results, but may not be the "best" way to shoot.

Black Level: +4
Gamma: CINE2
Black Gamma: Range/Middle, Level/5
Knee: Mode/Manual, Manual Set: Point/80%, Slope/+1
Color Mode: Type/PRO, Level/8
Color Level: +1
Color Phase: +1
Color Depth: R/+1, G/-3, B/-2, C/0, M/+2, Y/+3
WB ****: factory default
Detail: Level/-5, Manual Set: On, 0, Type3, 7, 0, 0

I try to boost shadows a bit while protecting my highlights...in general terms. You might alos try to zebra for skin level. In low-light situations you are most likely going to have to clip some brights, such as light sources, if you want to also have shadow detail. So instead of having zebra tell you stuff that you already know up at 95-100IRE, tell your zebra to make sure you have your skins or subject at the most optimal place for you to devote as much processing power to it as possible, while retaining what you feel are important brights. That might be setting zebra at 70 or so? you decide. This is not a fast rule and can get you in trouble if used wrongly, but an option as well. Just try to stay away from the point where your shadows are giving you fixed pattern noise. The noise on the low end of the fs700 isn't too bad (blocky/digital looking) and can be worked with in post. But if you start to get fixed pattern noise, well, that's headache.

In any case, happy shooting!
 
Rafael-- I really like the concept and editing on the wedding video. I assume that you used the Laing X-15 with the FS700 (were you able to cover up the vest with a tux vest, just for appearances sake?). That's an impressive amount of heft to be carrying around. Anyhow, I have to ask-- how much do you charge to do that kind of work?
 
That's nice, Raphael!
In low light situations, I've found NeatVideo to be pretty indispensble. Not only for degraining noisy shots, but, it does a heck of a nice job adding just a touch of sharpness to the luma channel. The straight Slog look is a bit under-saturated for my liking, but, that's totally discretionary if you run it thru Resolve. Under-exposing Slog is very problemmatic in the FS700, horrid magenta blocking in the shadows. If it happens, I've found resolve does a bang-up job blurring the red channel and smoothing out that chroma noise.
 
Last edited:
Hi Disambiguous66,

Thanks. Glad you liked it. Yeah, that was all vest/arm stabilized. With wireless follow focus, O7Q, two wireless transmitters and an accessories bag, it's a pretty significant load. But Inkeep my core and legs pretty strong. I can do multiple 8hr days consecutively with this set up. I'm basically a human tripod. I charge around $5k for the Steadicam package.

Thanks Cuervo.
Yeah, I could only do this with noise reduction. Specially because the O7Q bypasses NR. I'm still learning the incredible world of coloring, but it was tough because with such a low light scenario there was not a lot of chromatic information. So I chose to play to the strengths of the footage and lean on the yellow side of the spectrum...a type of vintage look. Like Insaid, I'm still learning, but I thought it came out alright. I hear you about the under-saturated look of slog2.
 
Back
Top