B/W Landscapes

From a classical landscape perspective, my critiques are that you put the horizon in the first one too close to the middle and there's not enough going on in the foregrounds. It seems like your subject is the vertical rock formations..you need a way to bring the viewer into the photo and lead them to that. You do a good job of this in the second image..notice the S curve. Another way to do this would be to highlight their unique shape. One way you could do this would be to wait till the sun fall right behind them and shoot against the sun or very slightly with the sun off to the side. Have them fill 2/3rd of your image and sillohoutte them. You will be left with your final image being made up of an outline of these rocks with a little rolloff from the sun.

Another thing that is my personal preference is having wider landscapes and both in aspect ration and in focal length. The orientation should typically be "landscape" IMO, unless it really makes sense otherwise (photo number 2 makes sense not to be landscape orientation)

For me, image number 2 is the clear winner. It has the S Curve, I like the touch of light acting as a kicker on the side and the shadows aren't too harsh (which is my preference for B&W photography)
 
I finally looked up the focal length equivalents for medium format, and the lens I've been using is about a 28mm...Maybe I'll have to give the 50mm I have more of a chance. I'm curious what focal length do you like to shoot landscapes at? 18mm? 24mm?

I did consciously try and make sure that I have a little something going on in the foregrounds for each of the pictures, the rock in the third, a part of the slope in the second...the first is a little more iffy because it's just a streak of light that I was using for my foreground element. Do you have any pictures that you think have a good amount of stuff going on in the foreground? It'd be good to compare.

The horizon I definitely agree about. I shot these photos about a year ago and finally scanned them, that was one thing where I was just like...man, what was I thinking...

I shot 35mm for quite some time and finally moving over to medium format was a happy move for me, not just because of the resolution, but because of the aspect ratio as well. I think it's just from shooting movies all the time in these wide aspect ratios it's nice to have a little more meat on the sides...I can definitely understand why you'd tend to lean towards wider pictures, but I think then it just wouldn't be fun for me. :)
 
Back
Top