Avoiding writing: lack of motivation, loss of passion, etc.

I'm going to flip the coin here. I'm a screenwriter & blogger and I cannot IMAGINE not writing. It's like air. Like water. Depression can kill your mojo, but lack of interest, it's not within you then. I'm constantly thinking of scenarios in my head, even though I am not currently screenwriting. I did write a couple of animated shorts that paid well, look forward to doing those in a snap.

But I HAVE to write. I MUST write. I AM a writer and there is no, and, ifs, or but's about it. It's within.

I say move on to other interest because this one is not within you.
 
One reason I work on two or three scripts at a time is I get bored easily with one script and have to back away from it. Then when I get back to it I can be more objective about it and toss most of it. I do set blocks of time where I have to write...no emails...no answering the phone...no surfing the net...no peaking in the refrigerator...nothing but writing. I also use music that fits the script. Music is a good mood setter for the type of script, but you don't want it too loud or it can be distracting. So set daily writing goals based on blocks of time and get at it.
 
A lot of people will tell you that unless you are physically compelled to write for hours at a time, then you are not nor ever will be a writer. I'm not sure this is true. I think sometime's life can distract you enough from what you really want to do that it can be hard to even get started. Immediate fear of failure strikes you as soon as you write half a page. You get down on yourself, and give up.

The other big thing, is writing stories you actually want to tell. I know that sounds stupid, I mean why would you be writing something you don't want to tell? Lots of reasons. I think often we work on a piece not because we love it but because we think the idea will bring us success or fame. Or because we feel like we have to do something, even if it doesn't interest us. Or maybe it DOES interest us, just enough to convince us to start working on it, but not enough to really push through all the doubt. I believe when you find an idea you truly care about, you will do what needs to be done to get it out in the world.

So my advice, is to look inside and figure out what is it you really want to do and say. Maybe as an exercise, find the genre you loved most as a young teenager, the time that most people are the most excited about life. Watch a few of your favorite movies of that genre that you loved when you were young. And then start writing something similar. You might find you've unlocked your inner childlike energy.
 
Thanks everybody! Even more awesome advice- amazing how similar and different our problems are. After a couple weeks of self-evaluation and wonderful advice on this board, I've decided to drive to my friend's office Mon-Fri to write. No TV, no cat, no refridgerator, no chores to do, no loud neighbors, etc. If this doesn't work, I will take a LONG break from screenwriting until something brings me back. Thanks again for all the brilliant advice y'all.
 
I'm fond of a book called "The War of Art" for anyone looking to get through procrastination. The hard battle of writing is sitting down to write. After a few weeks or months, it becomes easy.

I read the book last December, then began the Stephen King recommended 1500 words a day (on a book, not a screenplay), five days a week, and have not missed one day since January 1st. My ability to avoid procrastination comes entirely from "The War of Art" and its system of thought.
 
You had the full gammut of advice.

I was gonna suggest a writing partner. Took my writing to whole new levels. But locking oneself away with no distractions is a great strategy.Good to see the disciplined approach :)

How is it going?
 
In the past 6 months, I have had the most free time to write I've ever had since I began writing. Unfortunately, I have been doing whatever I can to avoid writing. When I do force myself to sit in front of my computer, my scripts never get opened. I end up doing everything and anything but write. I have gone through periods like this before but never this bad and never this long. My motivation has been nonexistent. I went from writing at least 3-4 pages a day to writing zero. In the last 6 months, I have not written ONE WORD.

I can't put my finger on it: lack of motivation, loss of passion, loss of confidence, pure laziness, loss of hope, loss of interest in script/idea, etc. It's probably a combination of many writer's problems but what I am most worried about is a loss of passion. I feel like this would never happen if I had any amount of sufficient passion. I think about my scripts everyday but I cannot give myself credit because I feel I do that naturally. The past couple days, I have given serious thought to quitting as a screenwriter and it does NOT make me sad.

Any thoughts, advice and diagnoses would be much appreciated.

A great motivator is money.

Get out there and beg for writing work, even low paid writing work.

The money will force your mind to figure it out.
 
Back
Top