Any Sorenson tips?

Barry_S

Moderator
I'd really appreciate any tips on settings for the Sorenson Pro 3 codec for outputting QuickTime files. I know some of you are using Sorenson Squeeze and I've seen a lot of high quality files, so any info on your favorite settings would help. Thanks.
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

You talkin bout for the web?
I use the sorenson codec at Meduim settings
10 frames per second
320X240
purevoice qualcom audio compression

Pretty files that aint that big.
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

Sorensons codecs by them selves suck. try one those softwares developed by sorenson and you'll be blown away with quality/compression. It's called Sorenson Squeeze baby...if you want to put stuff online that is the ultimate way to go as far as I know. There is IMHO up to this point nothing on the market that could beat this great product from Sorenson that utilizes the codec's capacity at its full potential.

my 3 cents.

Michal
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

Thanks Grinner and Michal. I'm having fits trying to get a decent QuickTime file using Discreet Cleaner XL and the Sorenson Pro 3 codec. Michal--your comment about the codec sucking by itself is strange--but that's exactly what I've been finding. I got cleaner because it was highly recommended and I get beautiful WM9 files, but for QT, I'm stumped. I thought by upgrading to the Sorenson Pro codec, I'd be fine, but maybe I should have gone with Squeeze from the beginning. *Sigh*
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

It's strange to me too that the codec itself handels the compression so poorly. I don't know what the heck they did in that utility but sure it does much much much better job at compressing than cleaner.btw I've been using Cleaner as well, but since I found S. Squeeze I do all my compression for clients on PC with SSqueeze. I think they have a trial you can try out. http://www.sorenson.com/solutions/prod/comp_win.php

Check out the features. I have the older version for Win but I noticed they make it for MAC as well. Try it it for yourself and make your own judgement.

Michal
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

Ok, I've been trying Sorenson Squeeze and it's about a thousand times better than Cleaner XL using the exact same Sorenson Pro 3 codec! I spent days trying to get a decent QT file from cleaner and all I ended up with was something barely acceptable. I was getting depressed at having spent the time to shoot something on the DVX and get some nice footage and color correct in Vegas--only to have Cleaner suck the life out of the piece. Blocky, blurry, noisy and desaturated describes the Cleaner QT file compared to the Squeeze file which has remarkably good fidelity to the original. Amazing. It took all of two tries to get a beautiful file from Squeeze. Squeeze also produces top notch WM9 files, so goodbye Cleaner! Thanks for the recommendation Michal.
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

I find that Canopus pro coder does the best job for me with sorenson. Squeeze doesnt do me justice for some reason. I think all the clips i have posted have been excellent quality with it.
 
Re: Any Sorenson tips?

use a spreadsheet with all the important parameters. as you change each setting, note the differences. After a while,you may not need to do that anymore. as it says in the manual, you reach a ceiling where the video is not getting any better, but the file sizes are growing, etc. You won't know if you've reached the ceiling unless you take detailed notes. sounds all time consuming and all, but it is worth it and you don't feel so kamikaze about all the settings..
 
Back
Top