F5: and F55: Best settings for 50Mbps MPEG2 XDCAM HD

mmm

I have a few clients who are very interested in the F5 but have an established XDCAM HD workflow from cameras like the C300 and PMW500.

Is anyone else shooting to XDCAM HD? If so, what settings do you find work best?

I've tried some SLOG2/S-Gamut tests and it appeared to grade without issue but I'm obviously worried about hitting the 8 bit wall with such a flat gamma curve. Has anyone else tried and succeeded/failed? Are there particular issues to watch for? Would I be better using a Hypergamma instead?

Many thanks

Mike

Last edited:
I had to do it on a job a few weeks ago, post company didn't want to go out of their comfort range (imagine that) and I shot S-Log2/S-Gamut to MPEG50

It looked "ok". I didn't expect to see much of a difference, frankly, but my own Slog2 LUTs do add a fair bit of contrast and the posterization was a little visible in some places, on my end at least.

However, the footage was being cut with 5D footage shot with what looked to me like the Technicolor flat profile, so in the end they were only going to add a small amount of contrast to my material and I'm sure it turned out fine.

Just remember, a zillion people a day are shooting flat log to 8bit on C300s, and everybody LOVES that camera. Nobody's picking nits with adding contrast to that thing at all and seeing posterization (even though it's there a little bit).

Thanks Nate, very helpful.

This project is web only so I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. For cinema or broadcast, I would insist on a higher codec but I want them to see the camera as a benefit and not a burden to start with. If they like the results, I think it will be easier for them to accept a new post workflow for higher end jobs.

I shot lots of 8-bit everything with the F3 from the cinegammas in the picture profile to even slog directly to cards. If you are working on a project that will allow you to be meticulous with your exposure and lighting, etc.. then you can do 8-bit and get away with it. If you're going to need to fix exposure by several stops for whatever reason etc.. then I'd probably reconsider.

Sounds like a fun project, be sure to post some frame grabs or link to video later.

Back