Am I good enough to apply for photography jobs?

I concur with Doc's analysis. I have been doing a few gigs lately shooting glamor stuff and a couple BTS documentation type gigs. To me, I really need to think about the "Purpose" of the pics I am taking, almost like in cinematography constantly thinking about the story we are telling. Work on your composition. I keep this pic on my desktop and study it regularly. When composing a shot I think about it. It is the "Rule of Thirds".

Rule_of_thirds_photo.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_%28visual_arts%29

I have looked around at a lot of folks that call themselves photographers and have been appalled at their work... and some of them are making a living at it. Go for it.
 
No one wants to hire a generalist. Strive to become the best in a specific niche such as food. Even within a niche there are niches, like beverages. Then you need to either be in a market that will support that niche or be willing to travel. Re pricing there is a software app Fotoquote that can help with that.
 
Okay thanks people. Actually my friend sent some of my pics, without telling me to a magazine. They want to three pics I took. How much should I charge for something like that?

Most magazines have a schedule of rates. Ask for it from The Magazine.

As a note, while I've not followed up on this point 'legally', but I have heard conversations which to the effect, if one discusses with other photographers 'the price' for 'x service', that could be construed to be 'price fixing'.
 
Ironpony.........maybe I can ask you plainly here. Do you ask questions simply to generate buzz (not judging here).....or are you that diverse in your interests? I see you in audio asking tons of questions, some that have a lot of difficulty involved. Here you ask questions that involve thought and serious consideration.......


Just gotta ask, because a lot of members are asking the same question and even deeper ones into your motives. Don't get me wrong.......the questions asked could be considered the ones not asked by those too shy to ask. Just that, you seem to ask all of them and the followups seem to get even more complex......


LOL, are you posting the answers you get on another website/forum of your own? Inquiring minds want to know.
 
I concur with Doc's analysis. I have been doing a few gigs lately shooting glamor stuff and a couple BTS documentation type gigs. To me, I really need to think about the "Purpose" of the pics I am taking, almost like in cinematography constantly thinking about the story we are telling. Work on your composition. I keep this pic on my desktop and study it regularly. When composing a shot I think about it. It is the "Rule of Thirds".

View attachment 72281

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)

Do you also handcuff your hands behind your back when shooting?
 

At first I thought your post was a joke.

I am not attacking you, but rather the blind adherence to "rules." Rules are good...to learn. Then one needs to decide whether or not to ignore them, based on the photographer's visualization of the image. Staring at a poor composition comprised of blown highlights and crushed shadows with red "rule of thirds" lines on one's desktop all day is a recipe for redundant mediocrity.

The OP does need to work on his images. My advice is to pre-visualize images (know what you want to see as the end result after editing in LR or another program before pressing the shutter button), learn to work your camera and train your hands to control your camera quickly and effortlessly (practicing with eyes closed is not a bad idea), learn about rules like the aforementioned (but constantly question them), and study images of the greats (Adams, Cartier-Bresson, Capa, Evans, Rowell, et al).
 
At first I thought your post was a joke.

I am not attacking you, but rather the blind adherence to "rules." Rules are good...to learn. Then one needs to decide whether or not to ignore them, based on the photographer's visualization of the image. Staring at a poor composition comprised of blown highlights and crushed shadows with red "rule of thirds" lines on one's desktop all day is a recipe for redundant mediocrity.

The OP does need to work on his images. My advice is to pre-visualize images (know what you want to see as the end result after editing in LR or another program before pressing the shutter button), learn to work your camera and train your hands to control your camera quickly and effortlessly (practicing with eyes closed is not a bad idea), learn about rules like the aforementioned (but constantly question them), and study images of the greats (Adams, Cartier-Bresson, Capa, Evans, Rowell, et al).

Jordan, ha, ha... yeah I understand. There is always a qualifying post in a discussion like this about "Don't follow the rules...". Yeah, I agree there are no "Rules", but there are basic fundamentals to good visual design, that I believe need to be grasped if one wants to make their work "Better". As for the grid, it is one of the basic fundamentals. What I can do now, when composing a shot, is actually see a minds eye view of the grid, supered over the viewfinder image kind of like a heads up display or something, and use that to help me compose my images. I do not like to have actual grid lines up in my view finder as I find that distracting. But... each to their own on that.

I absolutely agree that one should study the great masters of photography and painting. However, without at first taking the time to grasp (And I think apply) the basic fundamentals of good visual design, one may find themselves in the position of just copying great photos without understanding exactly why the photo is great in the first place. I am of the opinion also that if you really look at great paintings and photographs the vast majority do follow the basic fundamentals.
 
I ascribe to the "you first must know the rules, before you break them" camp. LOL, or at least try to understand them.
 
Back
Top