am I getting hosed?

gco

Veteran
ok, so I placed an order for a merlin arm/vest with Custom Supply, Birmingham AL one month ago because their prices beat the hell out of everyone else--$225 cheaper than our favorite store in NY. My previous buying experience with them was great---saved $250 on a tripod. Paid by check, got the tripod in two weeks. Problem is I that I cant decide if the particular guy handling my order is a putz or management is slipping. Its a relatively small company that doesnt actually stock anything. Every time you call they transfer you to the same guy that helped you before.

So I placed an order 3/8/08 and I was told 10-14 days because they ship from Tiffen/CA to Custom, then to me. Ok, so the check clears on 3/12/08 and 2 weeks later I call to check status. He again tells me 10-14 days---for the second time now---two weeks after the first time. I ask if it has been ordered from Tiffen and get a rather unclear answer, something about his making calls last week, not getting messages or emails returned. He said he would call me when he found something out.
So I call him last week and he says he hasnt heard anything. I asked him if it was ordered and again he dances around it saying he has to call Tiffen today because he has something else to check on....etc. I specifically asked him to call me that afternoon to confirm after he called Tiffen-- he said he would. No call. Next day get an email saying he hasnt heard anything from Tiffen and would let me know when he does.
So at this point, Custom Supply has had $1739.92 of my money for over 3 weeks and I still have no answer as to whether or not my vest/arm has been ordered by them from Tiffen. It has been implied but it has not been said!.
I have always been polite and have not pestered them in the least but its starting to feel like I'm hanging out in the wind here. I made a good faith effort to contract a sale of goods. Cant understand why he is not giving me simple direct answers. This does not exactly motivate me to do any more business with them which is a shame because I really do need to save money on some big ticket items like another tripod, deck, etc. At this point I am thinking that I should write a letter to the business, simply spell out the facts and ask for a confirmation of the order. Dont know what else I can do right now.
Anyone have any opinions or ideas how to handle this effectively?
 
it sounds like you are getting hosed. when someone isn't giving you direct answers and is breaking promises, it almost never turns out well.

unfortunately he already has your money and has no motivation to get your product. it's been a month. demand a refund.

and next time use a credit card.
 
Always use a credit (NOT a debit) card. It protects you from potential hucksters. At this point though I would ask for the name and number of his contact at Tiffen to try to help the process along. He probably won't go for it, but who knows. Or just call Tiffen and ask for customer service to see if they indeed do direct business with the 'company'.
 
ok, sent an email to Tiffen and got a response today. They do have a pending order with Custom and the arm/vest kits are backordered until first week of May.
Coincidentally, I got a call from the guy at Custom with no definite info again and a promise to update by phone today,...we'll see.
My gut tells me this guy dropped the ball --- didnt place the order until very recently and isnt manning up to it. (i send one email to Tiffen and get more info in 24 hours than i got from Custom in one month)
Will wait and see. In the mean time, I'm drafting the letter.
thanks for all your input guys, it helps.
 
Back
Top