capitalP
Veteran
Hey guys, I have a situation with a distributor (which shall remain nameless) who wants to acquire my feature film. The deal I'm being offered is a straight to DVD release in Blockbuster, Walmart and other outlets.
But it's a backend deal with no upfront money and a 50/50 split after they recoup $100,000, and they want the rights for 15years. So basically what they're saying is I'm never gonna see any money.
Should I hold out to see if I can get another distributor which can make me a better offer? I have another distributor who's interested but they won't let me know anything till October, and this other company is giving me a 2 week deadline to decide or they'll walk.
My film got into a big festival and that's why I'm getting these offers. This is the first festival the film got into, I still have alot more festivals I plan on submitting to.
I've been speaking to several individuals, and they all tell me it's a bad deal. Just wanted to hear what some of you guys think.
What I'm afraid off, I sign the deal and something better comes along, but if I don't sign, then I never get another offer.
I had hoped to get a little advance money so I can put towards my next film. But having my film in Walwart I guess will make up for not getting an advance...
I know this is a good problem to have but I just wanna hear some thoughts.
But it's a backend deal with no upfront money and a 50/50 split after they recoup $100,000, and they want the rights for 15years. So basically what they're saying is I'm never gonna see any money.
Should I hold out to see if I can get another distributor which can make me a better offer? I have another distributor who's interested but they won't let me know anything till October, and this other company is giving me a 2 week deadline to decide or they'll walk.
My film got into a big festival and that's why I'm getting these offers. This is the first festival the film got into, I still have alot more festivals I plan on submitting to.
I've been speaking to several individuals, and they all tell me it's a bad deal. Just wanted to hear what some of you guys think.
What I'm afraid off, I sign the deal and something better comes along, but if I don't sign, then I never get another offer.
I had hoped to get a little advance money so I can put towards my next film. But having my film in Walwart I guess will make up for not getting an advance...
I know this is a good problem to have but I just wanna hear some thoughts.