the place i'm renting from is bare bones (but i get it for cheap), forcing me to rent the lenses from somewhere else. Would like some very shallow DOF and then something a little more all-purpose. This is a test shoot and I just don't have a lot of time or money. I have no idea how much these things cost to rent (I assume a lot) which is why I'm limiting to two. If I'm wrong, recommend more!
We're shooting outdoors, during day, and i'm going for a rich saturated look.
Hey CG-
Okay...first quick disclaimer, I've never used a 35mm adapter for video before, though I do have some know-how in photography, etc. Having said that, I would reccomend a 50mm and some sort of telephoto, maybe 85, 100 or 135mm. This will give you what is considered a "normal" lens (50mm) and a telephoto lens that will extend the reach of the video while also compressing space to blur the background more heavily. Assuming you're renting these lenses, they'll probably be good and therefore fast (f/1.4-f/2 for the wide hopefully, and probably closed to f/2.8 for the tele lens) though if they have the option for slower lenses at a cheaper rate you may want to opt for those since you'll be outside. If you can and it will free up enough budget to add a third lens, I'd suggest you throw a wide in the package, something smaller than 50mm, maybe a 24, 28 or - on the longer end - 35mm. This may be a rehash of stuff you already know, but hopefully someone will read it and take something useful from it. If not, oh well ;-)
Peace,
If this is a test shoot, just go on down to birns and sawyer and ask to do a test set up. I'm sure they would be willing to do a set up to let you see the effect of different lenses. It'll be in their rental bay, but at least you can try out different lenses and get a better idea of what you might want *before* renting them. As for what size, I agree w/ harry, a 24, 50, 85, and 135 are standard, I would try them out. I would also try out a fish eye and telephoto too.
Wow! I had no idea rental houses would be that accomodating. Of course, I live no where near Birns and Sawyer ;-) but, ya know, that's still real cool. Thanks j.
Peace,