Advice for pitching a show idea

suprmatch

Active member
I'm in the baby steps of getting together an idea for the history channel. I'll be honest some of the things I read on the net are discouraging. The network may like your idea and tell you we will buy it from you, then your out in the cold as far as making the show. Someone suggested making part of the show on film to show you are capable of doing what you say you can do. Others say work on the pitch, the treatment, research, possibly a budget (hell I can't even budget my vacation money). Any info from people who were shoot down or made to the green light stage, hell anybody with any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
take the execution of the project as far as you can with the least amount of investment you can (that does not mean trying to do it for free.) craft a well written treatment. add a production calendar to your list. even if you do not show it, the calendar will aid in the creation of a strong budget. following is a link to an excellent budget book.

on the non technical side, have other things going on (multiple ideas for development, a day job, etc). if doing a reel, make a splash. it can open or close doors for you.

good luck.
 
Back
Top