Advice 4 buying a new comp

rgdfilms

Wet poodle
Ok, so I have a single 1.8ghz g5 right now that's done me very well. Too slow for me nowadays and I want to upgrade.

1. Is it worth upgrading right now w/ Intel Mac's on the horizon, I'm going to answer that for myself, no. It's going to take a while to work out all the software bugs.

2. If I sell my g5 I could theoretically upgrade to a dual core 2ghz model for $400.

Or...

3. I could put down $1500 instead after selling my old comp and pickup the Quad-laser.

What to do what to do...
 
Do you WANT to upgrade, or NEED to upgrade. A 1.8 G5 is a pretty nice machine unless you are doing a lot of high end work.

Always wait until you need to upgrade, especially with a change like this on the horizon.
 
mmm said:
Do you WANT to upgrade, or NEED to upgrade. A 1.8 G5 is a pretty nice machine unless you are doing a lot of high end work.

Always wait until you need to upgrade, especially with a change like this on the horizon.

An excellent point.

I use a P4 2.5G at home, and it suffices for what I need. Hell, one of our 4 FCP stations here is a G4. It won't do HD like our G5s with a Kona2, but it's sufficient for our SD work.

I'd wait on ANYTHING Mac until the official requirements for FCP6 are released. Otherwise you could be facing the same issue all over again shortly.

David Kuznicki
Production Manager, WGTE-TV30
 
1.8 g5 should NOT be slow for you. unless you have low RAM. how much memory do you have? upgrade your memory, wait a year for the intels. the 1.8 g5 is awesome with the right amount of ram
 
Back
Top