adobe premiere pro disk full?

Lindquist

Veteran
When I try to render out a small game capture on adobe premiere pro It tells me the disk is full Im not sure if its the Cache disk ssd or the normal ssd i use for the render output, can someone help me out??
 
Im not sure if its the Cache disk ssd or the normal ssd i use for the render output

Well, which of those disks is full? You haven't said if you're using Windows or Mac, but either way there should be a way to find out. On Windows click on "This PC" in the file manager. Obviously whichever disk or disks are full, you can try freeing up some space.

Premiere keeps several kinds of content on disk; any of these could cause a disk full error.


  • The actual project file, of course.
  • The previews. You will find where these are kept in the "Project" menu, under "Project settings" -> "Scratch disks". Generally I set all of these to be "Same as Project".
    • The "Video Previews" setting matters most; this is the folder called "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files".
  • The cache. You will find this setting under "Preferences" -> "Media". Since the media cache can be valid across projects, I generally set this to a central location, ideally on an SSD separate from the project itself. Obviously you need to make sure that whatever disk the cache is on, has space.

If you change any of these, you probably want to clean up the old location. E.g. if you change where the cache is, make a note of the current setting, move it, then go and delete the old one. Adobe has a nasty habit of leaving junk lying around.

Usually when I install PP, I set all of these up to what I want (and ditto for After Effects, Mocha, Audition, etc).

(This is PP CS6 on Windows, but it should be something similar. Again you haven't said what system you're using, so I'm telling you what I have.)
 
2a8jij4.jpg


never had this problem before, everr..
 
ok well yeah none of my drives are full at all.

And yet the screenshot shows that your Adobe drive is 99% full... in fact it's just 1.11 GB away from being completely full. When you're dealing with video, a gig will go away pretty fast... creating a preview, trying to cache a clip, whatever. When the operation fails, Premiere most likely deleted the file it was trying to create, leaving the odd GB free. So I would guess that's your problem.

Any time you see a disk 99% full -- or anywhere in the 90s really -- alarm bells should be ringing, because things are going to be failing pretty fast. Saying "none of my drives are full at all" because you have a scrap of storage left doesn't work.

BTW almost all software is chronically bad at dealing with disk full -- they just tend not to test that scenario, and handling it is fiddly and time-consuming. So any time you see odd errors or crashes in your software, and the disk is 99% full, that's probably the issue. You were lucky here that Premiere actually gave you a sensible error.
 
Back
Top