A7r EVF … slow refresh and scintillations

Ron777

Well-known member
Hello,
Just wondering if I'm the only person unhappy with the EVF's refresh rate? In single shot mode there is a several second delay before the prior image clears from the EVF. In addition, the screen is cluttered with scintillations which I assume occupy the in-focus zone but are there regardless of whether peaking is engaged or not. This is most noticeable when shooting landscape images as opposed to closeups. Are these normal features of the camera or have I been saddled with a lemon?
Thank you in advance
 
I think you can turn off image review if that's bothering you. No idea about those scintillations, they may be there because of the extreme subsampling to take a small image out of a 36mpix sensor.
 
Hi and thank you for your reply.
I may have overlooked something, but I do not see an option to turn off image review. As for the scintillations, I am shooting raw at all times and these scintillations are similar in character to the "in focus" phenomena that ones sees with peaking. However, these scintillations are not related to peaking—they are present with peaking on of off— and take on the color of whatever background is visible in the distance.

Addendum: I did find the equivalent of image review, it is called Image Preview, and turning it off solved what had appeared to be a refresh issue, which it clearly was not. Thank you once again.
 
Last edited:
Yes, that was the option I was talking about.
If those scintillations go away when you start recording video, then they are the product of sparsely subsampling such a high-mpix sensor for a very-low-mpix output.
 
Hadn't considered that possibility since I do not use the a7r for video—I have an F5 for that purpose—but will give it a try.
 
Back
Top