A good still camera for $200 -$300?

liscos909

Active member
Hi. I want to get my sister a good still camera for around 200 up to maybe 300 maybe a little more if it's worth it. Can anyone recommend me some cameras in this price range. They can be used as long as they fall into the price range. It can be a DSLR or a point and shoot just a solid camera that shoots high quality pictures. Nothing too fancy just a semi-pro camera that shoot high quality stills.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to second this. Just a few passes on Craigslist and you will find a whole load of them. Check them out in person before you buy and get to shooting :)
 
Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of leaning toward the Olympus Pen E-PL1 though. It's about $300 with the kit lens, it's small and user friendly. Would an older Canon Rebel shoot better stills that this though?
 
I recently bought my girl the Nikon Coolpix S8100 camera. Really good for low light since it uses a Cmos sensor vs a CCD. The new S9100 is also out but doesn't have the rave reviews as the S8100. Costs around 250.00 USD.
 
I think if high quality stills are the objective, then an interchangeable lens camera is the best option. Something like an Olympus E-PL1 or an older Canon DSLR are both good options. The EP-L1 is capable of image quality similar to that produced by the Canon DSLRs, plus it has the added advantage of video, and is adaptable for more old lenses. The main question is whether there are any particular ambitions to get other system accessories in the future, as these are not interchangeable. The Canon (or Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc) DSLR systems have the added advantage of a big range of lenses, more cameras to move up to, and have been around a long time. So there's lots of used gear for sale. But m4/3 also has an added advantage in that it is a rapidly growing system, very much orientated to hybrid stills and video. Personally I would suggest the E-PL1, because it is compact, and this encourages it to be carried around. It is also probably less daunting to use, if someone is had some experience with digital compacts, but no experience with DSLRs.
 
Are the GF1 and GF2 any good? I always thought they looked pretty cool.

I've got a GF2. In good light and with a good lens you'd be hard to distinguish a photo taken with the GF2 versus a larger dSLR. ISO800 is usable with some post processing. Beyond that, you need more light or another camera.

It's a little out of your price range though. I got a great deal on mine - GF2 plus 14/F2.5 pancake lens for $379.
 
Hi liscos909.
I will advice you to check on E bay as they offer discounts. Nikon Cool pix will be the right choice for your sister.
Hope you will get multiple choices and do select camera of your choice.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top