8 GB P2 card update?

John Rivers

Active member
Hey everyone,

Just was wondering if anybody had any knowledge or heard anything about Panasonic's progress with shipping out those elusive 8GB P2 cards. What's been the average time for getting one? 3-4 weeks? More? Thanks.

Actually, one more question:

Until I the P2 cards come in, what other alternatives might I have to record HD?
 
Last edited:
They are starting to come in. I should have mine tomorrow. But they are still selling out the day they come in.
My original dealer offered me 2 for $1,300, but after waiting a week, I finally ended up paying $1,400 each for them.
Worth every penny though so I'm not bummed.
 
TedRR said:
They are starting to come in. I should have mine tomorrow. But they are still selling out the day they come in.
My original dealer offered me 2 for $1,300, but after waiting a week, I finally ended up paying $1,400 each for them.
Worth every penny though so I'm not bummed.

They are still pricy. You could have got a decent Core Duo notebook for that money, not to mention for two cards.
 
Yea, I think that's what I'm gonna do if I have an indoors shoot. For outside I'm not too sure if I wanna risk my precious laptop (Powerbook G4).

What's this I've heard about recording to an iPod, btw? I don't mind losing my iPod as music player until the 8 gig comes in if it's a solution. Thanks.
 
Got my Cards just now.
I know the price is high. Last year at NAB I said NEVER P2, way too high.
BUT...After seeing how versitile the HVX was and at such a great price, I figured $3,000 for the cards was just part of the Camera price.

I am confident that Panasonic was having trouble getting the P2 technology to take hold, so they decided to nearly give this camera away so people would have to buy into thier P2 technology. It sucked me in after saying NEVER!
Panasonic took a big gamble going P2 when solid state video was barely a concept. This marketing stratigy was brilliant, and I'm happy to get screwed on the price of the cards. :)

My thought was that for our 30 second spots, there is a good chance the two 8 gig cards will minimize the need for downloading. I know that would frustrate many of our clients. Now they can think more of the upside of the HVX and less of the downside of solid state production.
Small price to pay. IMHO
 
If you are holding out for price, I'm guessing you'll be waiting for a couple months after NAB. JMHO
There aren't enough out there to make it a buyers market. And they will be in high demand for a while after NAB also. That's when a lot of people will be buying new equipment.
That's why I decided to grab what's avialable and enjoy getting screwed! :)
Since you guys don't know me, that was just a joke!
 
I still have my one 4GB card - so far its been good for what I do but I'd like to upgrade soon to and get an 8 gigger - i just can't stomach shelling out 1300 when I know that price will drop tomorrow - of course, if I get a bigger client base then I will be forced and happy to buy them at their current value
 
I was at an Apple/HVX seminar this week- Panasonic guy told me they would introduce the 16G card at NAB and then it would be available...don't know how much.
 
That would be great--if it goes that way. All the info to date has pointed towards this Summer/Fall. They'll probably intro at 4 million dollars each <g>. But maybe that'll have some impact on the price of the 8 gig cards as production ramps up?
 
Back
Top