6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Tony_Reyes

Well-known member
What do you guys think? Is Pro 1.5 that much better of an upgrade from 6.5. I've been using 6.5 for the past 3 years and am satisfied with it however I am curious about Pro 1.5. I'm going to download the trial and see how it is.

Thanks
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

I honestly feel that 6.5 is the most stablest version of Premiere. The only single reason why I've upgraded is the 24p capability and the support for HD which is the direction I'll be going by fall. I love to go back, but i can't. Yeah, there are a few nice added features that Pro has but we all have to move foward. If you just plan on doing this as a hobby or for fun then yeah, go ahead and stick with 6.5. If not go for the upgrade.
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

what I really liked in 6.5 was the audio volume capability...
I would stick with 6.5, like what Spider said, if you're shooting 24p or HD
gl!
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

1.5 pro kicks 6.5 all over the place IMHO. it basically functions like after effects as far as effect controls. and offers more functionality than 6.5. for example you can record a track of audio directly into the timeline in realtime as you watch the timeline play. you can record automation of audio controls in realtime as you watch the timeline play as well. just download the demo, and check it out, it doesnt work excactly the same but works much better once you get the hang of it. i havent had any real problems ever with it.
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

I've been using 6.5 for a couple of years, and even though I bought the PP1.0 upgrade when it came out, I haven't used it. I'm an old-school A-B editor, which wasn't part of PP1.0. Having track 1 split into A and B me a lot more control over the transitions between A and B.

I'm on the fence about going to 1.5. I REALLY want the 24p support, but what difference will it make in my work. I output to DVD, and can't understand how having the pulldown removed will change the final product.

Can someone explain it to me or point me to a thread on the site that explains it.

Thanks,
Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

As a PAL user, the 24p doesn't matter to me, because 25p kinda IS 50i - after it's been recorded to video - so upgrading for that reason holds not point to me.

I personally I am still with Prem 6.5, because of many reasons, not least the fact that many pro editors told me to avoid PremPro because of bug issues - they say (and interestingly, this was a consensus between several corporate video editors), that Pro was a 'turgid' version of 6.5 - just new code built on top of old.

I didn't realise that as Justin just pointed out - there was no 'A-B' editing facility in Prem Pro. Frankly, that's just stupid. All the pros use A-B for maximum intuative control. Removing this function on the so-called 'professional' version of Premiere is sloppy and amatureish. I'm shocked at that: Surely you can enable A-B editing if you want? ::)
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Not from what I've been told and what I've tried to do. All the transitions are nestled between the clips on track 1, not into seperate tracks within track 1. I'm a control freak, and tweek with single frames to get precise transitions.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Justin
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

the control over transitions in 1.5 is really nice. you can just click the transition and make changes in the effect control window, or you can just drag the edges of the transition clip area on the timeline to make length adjustments. if anything its more capeable than 6.5 ever was. i used 6.5 for quite a while, and really liked it with A-B cause it was easy and easy to understand. 1.5 dosent subtratc from the functionality or useability at all.. it only adds. you just have to relearn how to do things a little becuase they are somewhat counterintuitive from 6.5, but once you learn 6.5 seems very stone age in comparision. i honestly think most people are just afraid of having to relearn some of their workflow and simply would rather stay with 6.5 and claim sour grapes of 1.5 pro. in reality its a vast improovement, and has alot to offer in terms of adding options and useability to your workflow.
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

OK Neil. I'm going to push myself to use it on some projects I'm working on over the weekend. You're right... it's time to learn how to do things better!

What are your comments on the bugs in 1.5 on 24p?

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

I guess it's all subjective and based on your own situation, I've heard SO many people who've abandoned Pro and gone BACK to 6.5 because of instability problems (like Bluespider mentioned) – in fact, the last time I heard of so many bug issues was with 5.1!!

That combined with the fact I’d have to upgrade to XP for just one app when I’ve got everything ‘just as I want it’ just doesn’t do it for me. It’s a personal choice, and personally I find 6.5 to be stable, do everything I need it to, and works well with all the other software I’ve got. The way I see it, if YOU’RE happy, and it ain’t broke…

I’ve just never got this "There’s a new version! Ahh! Upgrade! Upgrade now!!" sensibility that so many people have. There’s some features in Pro that some people would find very useful, but I don’t think accusing everyone who doesn’t follow suit as somehow 'scared of change' and luddited is somewhat short-sighted – incidentally, one of my friends at the IAC was telling me that Adobe were thinking of introducing A-B editing back to any future versions of Prem, and another colleague who works at Adobe (one of the chief sales reps in Adobe UK) said to me just last night that the lack of this feature seems to have affected sales in the pro/semi-pro market. (But interestingly sales of 1.5 have a 25% increase on 6.5 in the ‘enthusiast’ sector, so swings 'n' roundabouts, I guess…) :)
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

I would have to upgrade too much stuff right now to go Pro.First off my matrox rt2500 doesn't support it and there is no intention on matrox part to do so. I would also have to move from win 2000 to xp. So now were talking close two two grand that I don't have to feed the demon right now. But really, though I don't do a lot of film video production yet, when the time comes I know I will rely on dissolves and cuts mostly, no fancy transitions so the only thing I'm missing is 24p support. Vegas does a fine job of this. Which means to achieve my goals I get vegas and the rest of my system is good to go. If it ain't broke don't fix it...Exactly. By the time I'm ready to upgrade or can afford it it will be called premiere extreme super edit station or some such thing. The car that I spent major bucks on (to use an analogy) still goes like a bat out of hell and gets me where I need to go. When it rusts I'll get a new one. I can't be upgrading willy nilly every time someone comes out with an upgrade. I built this system specifically to do a job, and it does that job....
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

I'm reconsidering on going back to splicing film agian. ;)


AndyJ, where the heck have you been? You've been missing in action for a while. :)
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

:) well certainly its subjective to your own personal needs and your pocket book, but if given the free choice between XP and older windows O.S. id take XP every time. and given free the choice between pro 1.5 and 6.5 id take 1.5 every time.   my point is simply that if you have a stable system 1.5 runs very very well.    its very easy and enticing to blame something on the new software rather than diagnose why the system has problems trying to do what the software wants it to.    in my experience 6.5 has crashed and had way more bugs and issues than ive had with 1.5  hands down.     obviously if you like 6.5 theres no NEED to upgrade, but i cant say that going from a geo metro to a BMW wouldnt be nice and have alot to offer me in terms  other than simply "working".  

believe me, i really liked 6.5, and when i first tried ppro i didnt like it at all becasue it confused mea little ,and things didnt seem to make sense  because i wanted it to work like 6.5.  i went back to using 6.5 for a wekk or so just like some others have,  but once i really had time to sit down and figure out the few differences i LOVE 1.5 .. its pretty much just the same as after affects for effect application, and  although the whole AB timline concept is easier to visually understand at first glance,  the single track editig is just as fast and efficient if not moreso once you take the time to learn and understand it.

to be clear, i dont have a problem with people deciding to stick with 6.5 simply because they cant afford or dont want to go through all the upgrading stuff.  my only problem is when people start sour graping and claiming that 1.5 is bad and 6.5 is better simply because they dont want to upgrade or cant figure it out after 10 minutes cause its not exaclty like the 6.5 workflow that they know and love. 6.5 cannot do anything that 1.5 cannot do. 1.5 simply changes the way that some things are done, and in most cases does it much better and more efficiently. 1.5 on the other hand DOES do plenty that 6.5 cannot.

one big tip for people trying to make the migration would be to keep the effects controls window open. that is where you will do most of your control whether its an effect or a transition or whatnot, its all right there pretty much for anything you click on.  you can do it through the timeline as well for alot of stuff but the effects control window makes it easy to go to the same place to adjust about anything - you can set audio keyframes there as well by simply clicking on an audio track. make sure you have the little timeline area  in the effects control window open so that you can easily scrub the clip or transition you are working on and set keyframes and such as desired right within the effects control window without ever going back to the main timeline. this makes it very nice to simply select a clip and then go to the effects control  window where you can scrub the length of that clip right in the effects control window and click any effect and scrub and set keyframes as you change the effect paramaters. the timeline in the effects control window only displays the total duration of the clip or item you selected so the very end of the timeline is the last frame of the  clip and the first frame is the first frame of the clip. so you could easily fade a clip from 100 to 0 opacity by selecting the clip in the main timeline , and then going to the effects control window and scrubbing to the first frame and setting opacity to 100 ..its useually already there so you would just click the new keyframe button. and then slide to the end of the timeline in the effect control window and set opacity to 0.  can be done in 3 secs vs all the time it takes having to zoom in on the actuall big timeline window to make sure your at the first and last fram of the clip and then going to the effects control window to change the opacity and set a keyframe.


anyway ..this is way too long now.. my point is that IMHO 1.5 is a much more capeable and professional app than 6.5, and if you do want to use it.. learn how to use the effects control window and the timeline in the effects control window. the small option arrow buttons on the top right of the windows give you the display options for any window .. so if the timeline isnt in your effects control window use that small arrow button to make it so.
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

A friend of mine has Premiere Pro 1.0 and he was wondering if he can capture 24P adv footage? I'm a FCP user so I don't know if it's only the 1.5 version that can edit and capture 24P adv.
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Forget it, I found my answer on the Adobe website. 24P is a new feature of the 1.5 version!
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Out of curiosity Neil, and I mean that, If you take the OS win 2000 and Xp, what advantages does XP have that make it a better OS. Assuming ieither are running stable 1. I tried it for a while and didn't really see any vast improvements just more clutter in the overall OS experience turfed it as Matrox wouldn't talk to it other than in some hind of pig english. Maybe I didn't give it long enough but other than the realy nasty native color scheme (in my opinion...Green and Blue nav colors and that god awful grass and sky Desktop :P) I didn't get it. You seem Hyped on it, just wondering why?
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Hi mino,

I have two 2K workstations and one XP and I find myself working more and more on the XP. I'm not all that literate when it comes to operating systems so I can't explain the technical reasons, but I find that the XP OS is easier to use, a lot zippier and it handles video like a dream [I have a Canopus Rex RTPro] it never crashes.

It is probably worth noting that although all these computers are networked, none of them are online. These systems are strictly for editing and graphics so I don't deal with any seccurity issues.

Also, you know that you can set up XP to look and feel exactly like 2K?
 
Re: 6.5 vs. Pro 1.5

Hey Chuck...I'm the same way except I'm running Win 2000 on both boxes. Never do these puppies go near the net, I have another box for that. Whatever passes into that box is scanned and only after it passes the test is it allowed to network over. I am aware of the windows color scheme / ldesktop look changes available in XP or for that matter 2000 (classic desktop etc) You have a nice setup as I recall re: (Post a pic of your computer setup) or some such post, where I think I caught a glimpse.

Cheers
 
Back
Top