4k2HD - O7Q

Fader8

Well-known member
Hi there,

I have an upcoming shoot this week.

So far I have just been shooting RAW. But as RAW would be overkill for this
job I'm thinking about going for 4k2HD.

Now my questions are:

1. Is there any disatvantage of using 4k2HD comparing to the other options?

2. Do you think I can go straight forward with 4k2HD or does it need testing to deal with it?

3. What is the best way to expose Pro Res in general? ETTR like in RAW to keep the noise low?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
I've used 4K2HD almost exclusively for my filming as of late, except for a few jobs that needed 4K. I find it quite powerful to work with. If you're expecting a heavy grade, then go with ProResHQ and I doubt you'll have much trouble in post.

1. I haven't found a disadvantage now that CD has ironed out the color issues with ProRes. The ProRes files turn out much like how I processed RAW files anyways. (Of course, this could be different due to personal tastes)

2. I would say unless you have a specific look or special need for the footage that you could probably go without testing, but then again, it never hurts to test.

3. I do ETTR for everything I shoot on my FS700. Honestly, now with the new LUT system, I primarily use the Slog-2 to REC709-1 LUT that automatically shows the exposure reduced by one stop. This way, I'm monitoring the image with similar exposure to how it'll look after post processing. Now, I don't typically use that same LUT in post, but I've found my preferred way to easily adjust the footage manually to look the way I would like in post. Run a little test with the LUTs and see if anything improves your workflow.
 
1. Disadvantages? Shooting in anything other than 4k RAW is always a compromise (one that obviously has many storage and editing benefits). If you don't need 4k or RAW, it certainly is your best option. If you need either, it certainly isn't.
2. Many, many people are obviously comfortable shooting in the prores modes (myself included) but if you personally have never shot in them, I would say you'd be crazy not to test them out ahead of time to make sure you are happy with them.
3. I expose my images exactly the same as I did when shooting in RAW.

Honestly, you are asking questions that by nature nobody will have answers to, only opinions. Go shoot a few things in RAW and a few things in HD prores and compare and see if it will work for you.
 
Thanks for your answers.

@Strouty: thats exactly what I'm looking for - opinions ;)

Now how would you set Zebras? at 95%? Can I leave the False color settings at default?
 
4K --> HD Pro Res all the way :) Shot today and was very happy with the results!!
Really like the crisp image which makes a 4K output for most purposes unnecessary.

I set Zebras to 95 % and mostly exposed to that.

I'm gonne use this option a lot I guess!

Cheers
 
Back
Top