24p or 24pa ?

blazingoat

Carbonite Member
I'm going to be shooting a music video and cutting with premiere pro 1.5

I haven't edited footage from my dvx yet, and this will be my first time.

Which setting is recomended for editing with premiere pro 1.5 ? 24p or 24pa?

I want to shoot in 24p and then it will need to be converted to 30fps NTSC for brodcast.

THANKS!
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

shoot 24p and capture 29,97 fps NTSC.
I'm not sure 100% but I would tell you to shoot 24pa if your project will be on DVD.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

I think others will back me up on this. For the time being, do not shoot in standard 24p and expect Premiere Pro 1.5 to edit it correctly. There are several issues currently which make PPro useless with 24p.

24PA, although, seems to be working out much better for people.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

oh god. This is what I was affraid of :) Conflicting answers! haha..

Okay. Anyone else? Remember, this is a music video for BRODCAST in standard 29.97 so I don't care about DVD.

24p or 24pa?

I asume that I will be capturing as 29.97 footage and editing in a 30fps timeline as aposed to a 24p timeline, correct?
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

Lucas is right. Avoid 24p normal in PPro. Shoot 24pa. Edit in a PPro 24p timeline.

24p Normal in PPro will cause a strobing problem in overexposed areas like a bright sky. 24pa avoids that problem except when you export back to 29.97 tape. If you edit 24p and export to a 24p DVD, you will never see the problem.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

umm.. k. But I NEED TO EXPORT BACK TO 29.97 TAPE so that it can be brodcast. (I will output to 29.97 NTSC mini-DV and then have it transfered to beta SP).

Is there a work around for this problem?

I thought I would edit in a 29.97 timeline and not even tell premiere that the footage was 24p. Just capture it as 29.97
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

Do you have Premiere Pro 1? That would work fine for what you're trying to do. I bought 1.5 a few months ago, not knowing it had these problems and haven't used it to edit one thing because of them.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

The workaround is to apply a filter like Broadcast Colors or proc amp that limits the luminance to 100 IRE. It means rendering your video, but it's an easy, straightforward workaround. So it's not a huge problem, but it's annoying Adobe has done nothing to address it and barely acknoledges the problem exists.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

yeah, it's going to need a brodcast render anyways before it goes out for transfer to beta sp.

Is there a difference in the "look" ie. motion artificats/strobing between 24p and 24pa ?

Thanks for all the replys.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

Other than the aformentioned strobing problem, the behavior of the two 24p types should be the same. Because Adobe always removes the DVX-added pulldown, whether you like it or not, and always adds in a 24p Normal type pulldown when exporting to 29.97 or using in a 29.97 timeline.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

and also, don't attempt to combine 24p (or 24pa) footage with standard 29.97 footage. That's not gonna work in PPro 1.5 either.

Basically, you cannot place 24p footage in a 60i timeline without rendering, and vice versa.
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

Personally, I have had no luck at all with that. Nor have I really heard anything good from other people.

Especially 24p in a 29.97 timeline, if I remember correctly, it actually plays it too fast and its totally crap.

Adobe knows this and have hidden away a small section from their website noting it, but here is the link ;)

http://www.adobe.com/products/premi...&format=NTSC&brand=Panasonic&model=AG-DVX100A


Notice the last paragraph which reads

" Tapes recorded in this device's [dvx100] 24P and 24PA will be captured as 24P regardless of project settings, and regardless of which device is used to capture the tape. Clips captured from such a tape cannot effectively be used in a 29.97fps project."
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

oh crap, I just read your question again, and realized you were asking the opposite... :)

but in any case, no, I still have had no luck doing so
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

I have actually been able to edit 29.97 footage with 24p footage in a 24p timeline. I haven't had any problems with the way it looks but Premiere Pro crashes on me at least twice every time I sit down to use it. It's frickin buggy as hell. >:(
 
Re: 24p or 24pa ?

NGC - excuse my ignorance but why would you want to 29.97 footage (60i right?) in a 24p timeline?
 
Back
Top