2011 Black List is out.

The Black List has their own website, with a free PDF of the Black List: http://www.blcklst.com/

I read every logline on the list, and if that's a solid idea of what's in store for us in 2012-2013, it looks like 2011 won't be the worst year after all. The Imitation Game looks like a solid concept, and there were 3 or 4 others on there that looked like they could be done right, but I think I'm really going to be looking to the blockbusters to keep 2012 and 2013 from being completely horrible.

-JMT
 
I realize it's a nostalgia piece but, how do you get the nerve to call your script Jurassic Park?
 
I realize it's a nostalgia piece but, how do you get the nerve to call your script Jurassic Park?

And talk about a crappy low-no-concept logline (A high school couple and two of their friends ditch school to catch a special preview screening of Jurassic Park), geesh, unbelievable. How the frick did that logline catch any interest in a query letter? I guess I better move up my timetable for marketing my own dribble considering what is getting picked up! Wow.
 
Okay but then what about this one (simplified slightly): A 17-year old believes she is the ugly fat friend.
WTF?! ;-/

Based on a pre-existing property. A pre-existing Young Adult property no less (the genre, not the movie). We all know how much executives like pre-existing properties.
 
BTW, while I was being humorous about the Jurassic Park bit, I would bet my last dollar that the only reason that script got read was because of the title. Regarding the quality of the Black List entries, it's really nothing like an awards nomination list. As you can see, a number of these are standard genre horror/thriller scripts and other rather B-movie concepts. This isn't a list of the best scripts of 2011, it's a list of scripts most likely to get made (and that's obviously a stretch as well).

Something to think about: I'm sure a number of the execs of smaller prodcos and mini studios participate in the list, and with catalogues full of B-movie schlock, you can imagine some would "nominate" less-than-perfect scripts. Also, as I understand it, agents try very hard to get their clients' scripts on this list, so a good agent could presumably get a not-great script on there.

-JMT
 
I've got all 70 of the BlackList scripts and have begun reading them. There is lots of good stuff here.


The number one script "The Imitation Game," is great. It has already been optioned for Leonardo DiCaprio and slated for 2014.

Chewie is good, but could never be made, unless it was a toon.


If you can get your hands on these, I highly recommend reading them, as it gives great insight into the current writing trends.


You can see what agents consider the BEST. You can also gauge different agents tastes and possibly pitch those agents your similar project.


The most fascinating thing is how many screenwriting rules are broken. Writers are including emotions, camera angles and specific music in the scripts, which has long been a NO, No.

I haven't gotten to Jurassic Park yet, I imagine the title did get it read. I assume the same with "He's ****ung Perfect" Last year two titles used the F-word, but two of the scripts are UNTITLED, which obviously didn't get read because of the catchy title, Or maybe they did?
 
Back
Top