Core 2 Duo Build Project: 2007

Lol. Nice info dude. TY. That'll go good with the other guides I got off'a google. n'stuff.

Can't wait to get my 24"!

Update:

Helloooooo NewEgg. Order got verified yesterday, showed up today just as I was walkin out of the door for work.

1178336173.jpg


Purdy. Ram didn't arrive, waiting on Gigabyte DS3 to do the installs and get 'er up and runnin. Official pictures to come when I tear open the boxes next week.
 
Lemme guess, All that stuff came from the CA warehouse and the rest is stuck in jersy?

- Yea been there done that.
 
ROFL!!!! HAHAHA dude, you turned into one of us! HAHAH!!! That pic is text-book overcloker-geek!!! hahah!!! Sweet!!!

But that carefully placed blown out highlight on the CPU's box tell me you only gor an E6300!!! PROOF! We want proof! LOL!!! hahah...

I wish I were there to build it w/u, soooo much fun!

What kind of Sound Card do you have? Do you mix yourself? Or do you outsource?
 
MiniMan13 said:
Lemme guess, All that stuff came from the CA warehouse and the rest is stuck in jersy?

- Yea been there done that.
Ram shipped from Jersey, monday delivery.

Motherboard I ordered on Ebay to ensure a Rev3.3 purchase. I have DDR2 sitting right here though, so i could install if I wanted. Just not wanting to waste my time on the newer SLi board. Shipped today, will see it monday.

Latin--

I'm no mixers, that's for sure. But I have a 7.1 soundblaster sitting in the closet that I'll plug into one of the slots. Nothing major.

Proof:

1178336036.jpg

Week 44G waiting to see an on-air 3.0ghz. >=)

In other news:

p35 board hit on ClubIt!!!! 269.99 DDR3 support and future native Quad. If I knew I could run OS X on that sucker I'd buy it right now.
 
I dunno, that pic is still kinda small, hahaha...

3.0? more like 3.2 completely stable, unless you didn't get your Tuniq yet...

What do you think about mixing with one of these... I am splitting hairs trying to find something that will be better but not more $... (I know, don't say it)
 
Tuniq's are out of stock. NewEgg'll have some soon. 3.2 stable is fine, I'm not that hard-up on going above 3.0 on air, though. I'd like to have some resale value and longevity and all that good stuff.

Looking at the P35 board, though, for the future. Yorkfield is where it's at!
 
If you don't go past 1.4 Vcore you will barely affect longevity and re-sale has nothing to do with it, only lapping.

There are many apps that will benefit greatly from higher clocks, think of all those apps that don't multi thread... and about the ones that only split up within cores in the same die... 6600 can reach Orthos stable 3.4GHz 90% of the time so 3.3GHz is uber-stable.

With that Intel cooler you'll reach 3.0 I bet, I'd probably run it at 2.8 till the T-Tower arrives, then do the same as all do... Crash it till you know exactly what won't run stable, then test for stability one step before it, and for added security... take a second step back and test again... that way you'll know you are "beyond stable"... you have to test again when you pull back even further though cause lower isn't always safer...

Keep in mind I didn't buy a Q6600 so I really didn't do all the research about it's cooling attributes, yet :D ...

Don't those HDDs feel like little bars of platinum? lol
 
Yeah I was thinking that exact same thing. Sit at 2.8ghz til Tuniq comes, then ride on up to 3.20ghz til I see Yorkfield hit the shelves.

And yes, they feel pretty solid! 1.25TB's of space to start off with ain't too bad. I just have to get accustomed to burning my garbage files to DVDs. Can't wait to start upgrading again later on!!!
 
Kholi said:
Yeah I was thinking that exact same thing. Sit at 2.8ghz til Tuniq comes, then ride on up to 3.20ghz til I see Yorkfield hit the shelves.

Sounds like a solid plan! I really wish I could get the Q6600 now like you... instead I have to wait for price drops, cause otherwise the quick back to back to back upgrading would be too much wasted money... I haven't decided if my Dad will get the E6300 or if I will try to E-Bay it... I might only get like $100 for it... maybe less? :(
 
Meh. To a degree, it's uneeded. I could get by with a G5 right now and spend less, still have OS X.

Thought is that I don't aboslutely NEED this, but it's convenient at this time. If your Setup is getting you by just fine then there's no need to upgrade til later anyway.
 
I am a bit worried about taking on my first 15min 1080 short editing project... I killed a few apps in the BG and it looks like I will be able to cut, but not with complete ease... I might use Magic Bullet which I already installed but I also have AE... will AE run slower than MB?
 
I did a little 1080 on the Core 2 Duo HP i just had, on-board graphics and I didn't have an issue applying about six layers of effects in After Effects. I think you'll be okay with AE. Dunno about Magic Bullet.
 
Oooh, you got the parts! You got the parts!

Are you going to wait for the rest of the parts come in before you build it out? Sounds like you got enough spare parts lying around ... :D

I can't wait to hear how your experience is going. I may proceed with purchasing sooner than I thought (like next week!)

Loved your photo of the stacked parts. Weeeee! I'm such a dork!

Good luck on the build, Kholi ;)
 
I am just going to wait til the G.Skill comes in and the new DS3 board instead of building. I really want to, just to see how it fairs with the SLI board in but it'd be a waste of time, cause I'd have to unplug the CPU and re-seat on the new board.

Trust me, it's pretty hard knowing it's RIGHT there and not being able to do anything with it. LoL. But since I have that time I'm thinking about just ordering everything else as well and getting it over with now. extra ram, raid array, etc.

What system are you building, dillont? Post up!!!
 
Yea post about your build too!

I am currently so frustrated with my rig! I want to have 1080p in complette utter smoothness... but I hane to keep telling myself to wait for QT3... then I still have to wait 60 days for the end of my step-up for a GTX... then again I won't know if it is the CPU only that's holding me back till I upgrade it... and I might get stuck with a GTX I didn't need...
Also I should be working on my 64-bit boot... to see if I can get the RAM now.. off to work on it...
 
Have you tried 1080p in your timeline yet? It seems like your current rig should be able to handle 1080p without a single problem, dude. Not sure why it wouldn't.

I was hoping to get an 8800 series card, but was held back by the OS X deal. I guess it's not that big of a difference. Maybe.

I honestly don't think it's the CPU holding you back if you're finding it slow. Then again m'not sure.
 
Remember I am using Vegas and 32-bit... and I can totally edit, just very jumpy preview! Jumps a bit with one stream no CC.. but still need to kill more stuff running in the BG
Once I kill all I can i think I'll be within 1080 viewing territory... also I am still tro try and hook up the 1080p capable monitor which should help as it won't need to resize at all... but I have so much going on that i don't feel like switching a 22" out for the 24" right now...

Gotta go to a party soon so no time to start the 64 boot...
 
Speaking of 22" for 24" -- I think I'm about to sell my 22" and just run dual 24"s.

I experience a bit of jumpy preview with the older G5, I'll let ya know how it goes with the new system.
 
I was just thinking the same... dual 24"s... hmmmm....

I remembered my original reasoning for it:

The prices of the LCDs sets are practically identical even when you add a $50 card with one DVI out that can handle high rez displays...

2 x 1920 x 1200 = 4,608,000

vs.

2 x 1680 x 1050 = 3,528,000
1 x 1920 x 1200 = 2,304,000
3,528,000 + 2,304,000 = 5,832,000

I like the idea of timeline on one screen, tools on the other, preview on the big one vs. timeline tools and 1:1 on the other...

Granted, a few tools can fit under the 1080 on the 24" but you gain 1,224,000 pixels of real-estate...

Granted, a tall timeline isn't as useful in most applications as a wide one would...

Still, I am willing to try to squeeze the most out of the 3 monitors...

It all comes down to your real "estate zoning" skills (management of tools on available screen)



I will also have my 24" on the stand I will soon show you guys, and I can work on the two screens on 720p projects even if my monitor is rented... I got to go... we should analyze this together
 
Last edited:
Whoa -

I just looked at your specs more closely - you're building an OCTO core machine (2 x quad core procs)??

I was planning on buying the same parts that Kholi buys once he confirms success at running all the apps he wants to run (cuz I'll be running many of the same). (Just now I noticed that this is going to be an 8 core machine??) I wasn't originally intending to overclock. But Kholi's post here reminded me of how easy it is to o'c the core 2 duos. The database over at the other website is huge, and full of "almost perfect!" posts. But usually an audio card doesn't work fully, or certain things are disabled depending on the OS you're running. I haven't seen a setup where all the parts work perfectly under both OS's.

I'm hoping that Kholi found the prfect combo for the apps he's intending to run, and then I"m just gonna get the same exact parts. :P

I do have a couple questions about the OS installation part, though - I never got too far into researching that bit. I'll pose them in email or on the other forum.

Thanks dudes!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top