Mac Pro questions - for editing HVX footage

Drcoffee

Well-known member
Hi there, I’m considering buying a Mac Pro to edit HVX footage, but would really like to know a few things before I take the plunge (I’ve always been PC based). Sorry about the list, but this will be a big commitment for me (being on a very tight budget).

1) Is it worth waiting for Leopard to come out? Or will I be waiting forever?

2) Does a Mac Pro use normal PC Hard drives? (cheap expandability)

3) Is it possible to wipe the Mac Pro OS and solely run windows?

4) Does a Mac Pro take PC Graphics cards? If not what’s the difference?

5) Would a Mac Pro out perform a similarly priced PC (Dell 690, HP xw8400 for real time HD editing?

6) Why is Mac Pro RAM so expensive? Is there a cost effective alternative?


Many thanks, any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
[FONT=&quot]Jon[/FONT]
 
It all depends on when you actually need the computer for when you buy it. The MacPro will run normal PC hard drives as long as they're Sata3Gb/s. Using Bootcamp you can fill the rest of your installed OSX drive and use windows (and just never go into OSX) so yes that is possible OR you can put Windows on its own drive. The MacPro does use Graphics Cards other PC's use but there is a limit to which ones are proven to be working (the ones they sell and a couple others, your better off just choosing what you can from them, the X1900Xt rules). The MacPro runs XP faster than anything ive ever seen so ide say yes but thats debatable. But having XP and OSX if you want it is a great advantage to me. The MacPro uses FB-Dimms which aren't as common as normal Dimms on DDR ram and such so yes its more expensive. There are lower cost solutions. I got 1GB from apple and plan to buy more from OWC (Other world computing) for like 300 you can get another 2GB or so. Not THAT expensive but doable.

Hope I was able to help, and btw im a Pc => MacPro convert as well so I feel your pain, but man once you go Mac you NEVER GO BACK!

- Kyle
 
I made the switch when I got my HVX, and never looked back. Mac Pro stock components, FCP and the HVX rocks, love it! I have bootcamp installed on it, but hardly ever use it. Don't wait, get it now, you won't regret it.
 
Drcoffee said:
1) Is it worth waiting for Leopard to come out? Or will I be waiting forever?
2) Does a Mac Pro use normal PC Hard drives? (cheap expandability)
3) Is it possible to wipe the Mac Pro OS and solely run windows?
4) Does a Mac Pro take PC Graphics cards? If not what’s the difference?
5) Would a Mac Pro out perform a similarly priced PC (Dell 690, HP xw8400 for real time HD editing?
6) Why is Mac Pro RAM so expensive? Is there a cost effective alternative?
1- No, get it now.
2- Yes, Mac's always have.
3- Why? If all you want is Windows, you can get a cheaper computer (in every sense of the word).
4- If the manufacturer makes the drivers for Mac OS X, yes. Most do.
5- Not a valid question, comparing Apples to Onions, pick an OS and stick with it. But don't compare, it just never ends clean, fair, nor pretty.
6- Because it is high end very fast RAM. A Windows PC user will pay the same price for the same RAM cards.
 
Definately wait another month - 2 months...I think it's best getting a computer when it just comes out. These computers replace each other too often to get one at the end of their cycle.
 
If you do get a Mac Pro before they update them, get the 2.66 ghz, not the 3.0 model.. I've done tons of tests and it's not worth the $800... you're better off spending that 800 on ram and video card, HDD, updates.... This will make your computer better for editing..
 
Reasons to think a Mac Pro update is in the offing:

* The Mac Pro hasn't been updated for more than six months
* Intel have quad core Xeon chips available in reasonable quantity
* A new version of Final Cut Pro is expected at NAB, possibly including a new high-end version: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702finalcutpro6.html
* Adobe are launching a Universal (runs natively on PPC and Intel) version of Creative Suite in a few weeks (excellent reason for people still on PPC to buy a new Mac Pro).

Of course if you need the computer now, buy it now, but if you can wait for NAB I would.
 
Nobody (outside of Apple) knows anything definitive, but someone made a good case for waiting a couple of weeks. They said Adobe is due to announce the new Creative Suite 3.0 on March 27th, and that Apple was holding off on the 8-core Mac Pro (two Quad processors) until Adobe announced. So you're only really looking at a three weeks to find out; if you can wait three weeks, might be a good idea. But if you need it now and can put it to work now and start making money with it now, get it now.
 
Back
Top