Other: The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Thanks for the tip... It would also be great if Sony put open gate into the fx3. Besides color science that was one of the few things I liked about the BMCC 6K the short time I owned it...

Apparently there's a solid rumor that Sony's March firmware update for the A1 and A7SIII will include many "high-end features" not listed in their prior announcement. I don't know what high-end features can possibly be added by firmware... I assume they mean things like scopes and shutter angle and Cine EI modes. In any case, that suggests to me that the A7SIV won't be coming that soon. September at the soonest? And maybe the FX3mk2 won't be coming that soon either. I'm not sure why the A7SIII and FX3 don't share the same firmware. I have one of each and use them interchangeably.

Unrelatedly but of note - apparently Sony will be shipping an 85 GM mk2 in the summer. Should be great and I plan on preordering

Apparently there's a solid rumor that Sony's March firmware update for the A1 and A7SIII will include many "high-end features" not listed in their prior announcement. I don't know what high-end features can possibly be added by firmware... I assume they mean things like scopes and shutter angle and Cine EI modes. In any case, that suggests to me that the A7SIV won't be coming that soon. September at the soonest? And maybe the FX3mk2 won't be coming that soon either. I'm not sure why the A7SIII and FX3 don't share the same firmware. I have one of each and use them interchangeably.

Unrelatedly but of note - apparently Sony will be shipping an 85 GM mk2 in the summer. Should be great and I plan on preordering

Well, if the a7siii gets shutter angle the fx3 better. Same goes for false color internally...

Sony has announced upcoming firmware for FX6 and for FX3/FX30. Not terribly impressive. But at least my FX3 will have a shutter angle option. I don't even really need that. But the most common issue I have with LED banding is with 60hz refresh rate, and right now I can only do 1/125 shutter on the camera and not 1/120. So at least it will fix that.

FX6 ver.5.0 firmware

The ILME-FX6 ver.5.0 firmware update is expected from May 2024 or later and will include

– The addition of 1.5x setting to the De-squeeze function

– Monitor & Control feature (ex. Waveform, False color such as FX3/30 already supported)

– A new preset 709tone support to colour match multiple cameras

– The expansion of supported lenses, such as the SEL100400GM & SEL200600G, for breathing compensation
FX3 & FX30 firmware

The firmware update for FX3 and FX30 is expected from September 2024 or later and will include:

– A Shutter Angle option

– 709tone support

– SRT/RTMP/RTMPS support for Live streaming demand

While it is always great to get firmware updates for cameras, I am not sure why users have to wait till September to get basic features such as a shutter angle option and 709tone support
https://www.newsshooter.com/2024/01/17/sony-announces-firmware-updates-for-the-fx6-fx3-fx30/

I think it means waveform on the monitor & control app when using with the fx6

Boy, that will really come in handy! :shocked:
BTW, my SEL200600G already doesn't breath at any focal length.
And instead of a "new preset 709tone", how about just giving us back a full set of standard Sony paint menus so we can roll our own?

I'm off OS for a couple of months soon, so started to look at a "B" Cam body to complement the FX6 and existing lens for when the location says.... "You can't bring that in here".... but have no issue with "normal" cameras. The Sony ZV-E1 is on sale here in Australia for under 1/3rd of the FX6 with the same sensor so I trundled off the Sony store with my 28-135 to check it out.

Serious Q: How on earth do you shoot run&gun video with this form factor (eg with the screen on the back and no EVF)? I had to extend my arms a fair way out to see the screen, and then with the big lens it was very front heavy and there was no way to brace it at all. I don't think I'd last 30 seconds like that. Also the ZV-E1 is so small there is no decent hand grip and the placement of the buttons / zoom rocker is so close to the edge of the grip you almost have to let go to be able to operate them. It was very awkward and felt like I could easily drop it by mistake. I'm not going to pay the extra premium for the FX3, but while it had a much better grip, it still was not great.

I could end up with a DJI Pocket 3 at this rate!

Last edited:
Serious Q: How on earth do you shoot run&gun video with a mirrorless?

Depends on what kind of mirrorless you are talking about. In my book, the FX3 and FX30 don't even qualify to be called "mirrorless" because they are not for taking stills. Technically a "mirrorless" camera refers to a DSLR stills camera that uses an electronic viewfinder instead of a mirror/prism that flips out of the way. The FX30 and FX3 are just video cameras that do not have a viewfinder. They are not mirrorless cameras. And even if the ZV-E1 can shoot stills (I know nothing about that camera), I still wouldn't call it a mirrorless camera because it doesn't have a viewfinder either. No camera without a viewfinder should be called a mirrorless. They are just video cameras. Why try to slap a "mirrorless" label on stuff that isn't even the same category?

If cameras like the ZV-E1, FX3, FX30, etc. are considred mirrorless cameras, then that also qualifies my iPhone, FX6, F55, FS7, etc. to also be called mirrorless. What's the difference?

If you want a real mirrorless camera that can blow the doors off the FX3 or FX30 for video, get an Alpha. Basically a DSLR without a mirror. I have an A1 mirrorless camera that is easy to use for run & gun because it has a beautiful OLED viewfinder built right in. As do all the A7 cameras if you don't need the full capabilities of the A1.

Last edited:
Edited to make it a Better Q?

wireless EVF strapped to your face? or just a wireless smartphone monitor/control strapped to your wrist like I use

as for balance/handling, maybe a smallrig cage? https://www.smallrig.com/SmallRig-Cage-Kit-for-Sony-ZV-E1-4257.html

possibly with an additional side handle and/or counterweights

I use mirrorless cameras all the time, but almost always on gimbals even when I'm run and gun. (to be fair, I don't shoot a lot of proper eng/verite)

If all you have is a hammer.....everthing looks like a nail.

Shame there is no plug on EVF (Bloom does have a petition going - Petition · Please Sony, make an MI shoe OLED EVF for your cameras like you used to! - United Kingdom · Change.org)

I really don't want to rig out something given I have already run into issues with the FX6 being "acceptable" in some situations. I was almost refused entry to Morrocco as I was accused of being "media" trying to sneak in on a tourist visa. I was hoping the ZV-E1 would work as it is the cheapest (by far) of the bodies using the same sensor as the FX6 and no one would blink twice at it.... but the ergonomics are not for me. I'm used to incorporating DJI Footage (Air2s / Pocket 2) so the Pocket 3 would also work.

If all you have is a hammer.....everthing looks like a nail.

Shame there is no plug on EVF (Bloom does have a petition going - Petition · Please Sony, make an MI shoe OLED EVF for your cameras like you used to! - United Kingdom · Change.org)

I really don't want to rig out something given I have already run into issues with the FX6 being "acceptable" in some situations. I was almost refused entry to Morrocco as I was accused of being "media" trying to sneak in on a tourist visa. I was hoping the ZV-E1 would work as it is the cheapest (by far) of the bodies using the same sensor as the FX6 and no one would blink twice at it.... but the ergonomics are not for me. I'm used to incorporating DJI Footage (Air2s / Pocket 2) so the Pocket 3 would also work.

you don't want a zoom lens for this?

you don't want a zoom lens for this?

Exactly. The biggest problem with the Osmo as that you have to get right in close to everything and it's not very cinematic.

Jmone, I still think an Alpha is the right answer. Same lenses, same cards, etc. as the FX6. Having that built-in OLED EVF makes all the difference for ergonomic comfort and seeing what you're shooting. There are probably some good deals to be had on a used A7.

Yeah.... Ideally the A7sIII I guess... but these are still pretty pricey even used in Oz. Other cheaper A7's like the A7IV have a different sensor that come with some weird crops like an APSC crop when shooting in UHD 50fps (my default). Hence the attraction to the very cheap (by comparison) ZV-E1 (approx US$1950 brand new) as it too has the same sensor as the FX6.

Yeah.... Ideally the A7sIII I guess... but these are still pretty pricey even used in Oz. Other cheaper A7's like the A7IV have a different sensor that come with some weird crops like an APSC crop when shooting in UHD 50fps (my default). Hence the attraction to the very cheap (by comparison) ZV-E1 (approx US$1950 brand new) as it too has the same sensor as the FX6.

I'm tempted to say you should get the fx30 because it's even cheaper. Doesn't solve the missing EVF problem. And it's also a cropped sensor... But the fx30 has same body as the fx3. Look at the difference in the handle compared to zve1:

you put the viewfinder loupe in your pocket until you get in the door. Then pop it on the monitor.

If you're willing to mix DJI then I think the FX30 would be preferable. Not the same sensor as fx6 but probably better and closer.

Sony-ZV-E1-vs-Sony-FX3-top-view-size-comparison.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Sony-ZV-E1-vs-Sony-FX3-top-view-size-comparison.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	5711548

Back