How do I attach gels?

Thanks for the help. I thought they were 12x12, which is why I was worried.

What can you guys suggest for a very basic gel kit? Mostly for colour correction for natural outdoor light (night and day), and maybe a few orange filters for matching practicals.

What can you guys suggest for a very basic gel kit? Mostly for colour correction for natural outdoor light (night and day), and maybe a few orange filters for matching practicals.

I carry Full, 1/2, 1/4 CTO and CTB. 216, 250, Opal and ND 3, 6, 9. Also a small a =mount

I carry Full, 1/2, 1/4 CTO and CTB. 216, 250, Opal and ND 3, 6, 9. Also a small a amount of 1/2 Plus Green.

Oh yeah, I use clothes pins for everything.

But I was assuming that he wasn't actually using official gels, being as it melted that quick. A cheap alternative to party gels is cellophane, at a dollar a roll you can't go wrong. That however requires you to keep the 'gel' away from the light. Thus my suggestion.

>at a dollar a roll you can't go wrong

Yeah you can, for several reasons... fire is #1

Oh yeah, I use clothes pins for everything.

That however requires you to keep the 'gel' away from the light. Thus my suggestion.

If you kept reading into my post, you would realize that I do state this. Do they alter the colour of light? Yes. Can you use it as a party gel? Yes. Can you attach it to the light itself? No.

Yes, fire is a concern, however, cellophane doesn't ignite, only melts. Anyway, that aside. That is why you would be required to push the cellophane AWAY from the light. As I stated above.

Some people don't have the money to buy several gels, if you are cautious and position the cellophane gel away from the light, on a stand, free hanging, what-have-you, you are good to go and you won't have a problem.

If you are an idiot and attach it directly to the light, then it will melt... similar to anything that gets too close to a light. I still stand by the responsible use of cellophane as a party gel.

I did some work for a local television production company and on their arri open face lights (800w?) they simply used metal clips on the barn doors and they hardly ever replace their gels despite using them several times a week on TVC's.

I did some work for a local television production company and on their arri open face lights (800w?) they simply used metal clips on the barn doors and they hardly ever replace their gels despite using them several times a week on TVC's.

I also use metal binder clips (the type you'd find in an office supply closet) instead of c47s. I find they hold better.

Yeah they hold better but they leave obnoxious linear scars on the pads of your fingers when they get hot!

I learned lights in the theater, where you can't just clip stuff because it might fall off and hurt someone. There you tend to melt more gels. Plus those ellipsoids are so focused they somtimes melt steel gobos. It's nice to have gel frames that fit your lights, especially for fresnels. Sometimes I use PAR64s instead of scoops or the softbox (since they're just hanging around) and it's handy to be able to just drop the gel in and know it's not going to fall off or burn.

Just picked up the gels. So I just use clothespins to attach them to each of the 4 barn doors, and it doesn't matter if it creases heavily in the center?

sort of fold them over the light so that theres a good 6 inches between the bulb itself and the jell. Also dont leave your lights on when your not shooting if possible.

I tried to put them outside in relatively high wind, which proved to be impossible. Any advice on doing something similar, aside from leaving them inside and simulating the window shadows?

Lots and lots of sandbags possibly. Order a lighter wind next time! :) Seriously the best thing to do in a high wind is to mount a tarp deflecting some of the wind out of view. I just built a metal frame with some angle iron and put a ton of sandbags on both the angle iron and the light as well as stuck my friend out there (You know the PA) to make sure the tarp and light doesn't fall over.

Back