Poor quality blu rays from 4k footage

flinty

The 4K edited files i make and store on external hard drives are as good as i can expect from my gear.But i have always made blu rays as well from my 1920x1080P footage and they have been fairly good,but the blu rays i now get from my 4K edited footage is poor,my software power director 13 ultimate will only burn 24 Mbps 50i blu rays from the 4K files,if i try 24P ones at the end of the render stage the process just stops and they will not go on to burn the disc,i am not sure if 24P discs would be any better,the 50i ones although very sharp compared to the ones i have always made from normal hd they have far more jaggies and pronounced interlaced look,so i wonder if making blu rays from 4K footage is worth it.
The reason i make them is for ease of playback,at present i can play the 4k files from the drives on my 4k tv but i have to start and finish playing the files,with blu ray i can go quickly to any film on the disc and fast forward etc.

It's all in the compression. If you have an automatic compression setting that won't even recognize the proper frame rate, then yeah...I wouldn't expect the best quality result. Do you have any other tools that might be better?

The only software i have is power director and the latest Coral,Coral wont look at 4K on my set up,Power director is no problem except for the rather poor BDs,thanks for the reply.

A few things going on here. The first and most important is that you are letting burning software do the downscaling of your footage. I definitely don't recommend this. Downscaling should be done in your NLE (usualy in a nested sequence) Ideally you would export a blu-ray h.264 from your NLE to bypass your burning software from messing with the quality.

The next issue is that you are converting your footage to interlaced and then it's being shown on a progressive television. Again, this is an issue that needs to be resolved, perhaps by doing the above.

Lastly, I'm not sure why you are trying to burn 24P DVDs. In the UK you would be using 25P correct? Not that you would notice it but going from 25fps to 24fps actually gives you 1/25th (4%) better quality since you have less frames that need data.

Thank yo the input,here in the uk with my software anyway i only have the option to burn are MPEG-2 and H.264 HD 1920X1080 24P/HD1920X50i/HD 1440x1080 24p/HD1440X1080 50i/hd1280x720 50P/HD1280X720 50i/and smart fit.25P is not BLU ray compatable as far as i know.
Of all the options only 1920x1080 50i burns successfully,if the footage is from steady tripod shots with no panning the quality is good,but any footage not completely steady shows the bad interlacing,the problem is not to do with the frame rates movement is normal unlike if i render my origional 25P 4K files from 25P to 24P when the movement has a noticable jerky look.
Edit i realised i may not have tried a MPEG-2 1920X1080 24P and found it would burn and complete on a short 25m test from a 4K edited file,but the quality is far worse than the 1920x108050i ones,it strangely has an even more interlaced look and the frame rate difference is noticable unlike the 50i ones.The last option is do some 24P camera clips and edit them to 24P 4k but i have my doubts that any BLU RAYS from 4k footage will show it as it deserves.

Last edited:
Pretty sure 25/30P is not in the BD standard,no doubt somebody knows for certain,it wont cure my problem though.

Ok its strange though Power directer is the best software i have ever used,everything except Blu Rays from 4K is is brilliant with it.What would be a reasonable software for what i require.

Back