For Web Prepare for quick start or hinted streaming?

bfsound

Which is prefered and whats are the benefits of one over the other and why?

Also currently the band i work for has a toutube channel so that where i upload but am curious as to the benefits and why vimeo provided better web quality? Id like to make a channel for them using that if its better.

Thanks

Fast Start allows the video to start playing before it is completely downloaded. Hinted Streaming is better for QuickTime-streaming servers.

It's not really an issue when using YouTube or Vimeo. Don't use a streaming setting (or, select "none"). YouTube or Vimeo will re-compress the footage anyway for proper playback on their servers.

Vimeo has been using a much better, cleaner compression for their videos for some time. YouTube traditionally has used poor compression that has made videos look terrible on the Web. However, YouTube has changed their compression and has added the HQ and HD options as well. Their videos look much, much cleaner now.

As for YT vs. Vimeo, I prefer Vimeo just because it's geared towards film makers and content creators. YT is for anyone with a Flip camera. Vimeo doesn't have anywhere near the amount of useless garbage that YouTube does. On the flip side, YouTube is a much better-known name and it may be easier to reach a larger fan base through them.

Back