Takin the Certification Test Tomorrow

Joe Calabrese

Hey everybody,

I'm takin my certification test tomorrow for Final Cut Pro 7. I took the practice exam in 9 minutes and 57 seconds, and scored an 87.8%. I've been reading the book more than I've ever read any book, but I'm still really worried.

Anyone here have their certification? Can anyone tell me what to be careful of or what is really tricky? How much more difficult is the real exam from the practice one?

Thanks,
Joe

Hey everybody,

I'm takin my certification test tomorrow for Final Cut Pro 7. I took the practice exam in 9 minutes and 57 seconds, and scored an 87.8%. I've been reading the book more than I've ever read any book, but I'm still really worried.

Anyone here have their certification? Can anyone tell me what to be careful of or what is really tricky? How much more difficult is the real exam from the practice one?

Thanks,
Joe

I took the test back in June and passed with a 97.4%. Practice exam and real test were similar, in fact I had some of the same questions. Make sure you know what a slip, slide, ripple and roll are, as they will give you pictures and ask what kind of edit was performed. Know the RT menu and what all the unlimited/safe RT stuff is and just basic knowledge. Ah yes, holding shift and pushing left or right moves the playhead in one second increments. I remember guessing at that one.

I just got back from the test. Scored an 88.46%.

I thought it was more difficult that the practice test. Took a lot more thought and trying to remember. Then I went over the test again, just to double check everything.

I read through this, but still had some trouble with the test. I can now safely say, if you know this book, you can pass the test: http://training.apple.com/pdf/fcp7-exam-prep.pdf

It may be a while before I feel confident for the Level 2 Exam.

Awesome dude. I'm took the practice exam and scored a 92%. I'm gonna take the exam in a week or two. Any point of study to focus on? I made flash cards from the info in the pdf and have been studying nonstop.

Know the correct terminology for answering those questions. Know the tools in the toolbar and the shortcuts to access them. Know the basic shortcuts that save time when editing (like Option and + zooms in on the timeline where the playhead is, things like that). Be able to recognize how each effects clips on the timeline (You will see 2 clips labeled A and B. In the before, both clips are equal lenght, but in the after A is longer, B is shorter but the overall length of the sequence is unchanged. This is a roll edit. Its all visual for these kinds of things.) Most of all, read the question and answer choices carefully some of the answers can get tricky.

They give you way more time than you'll need, so I basically took the test twice to double check my answers.

Thanks for the advice. Practicing FCP everyday could probably help a lot, right? I do it just to master various techniques but after studying for the last week I know why certain functions do what they do.

The test won't make you a better editor as far as shot choices, continuity, etc. It will teach you the most efficient and various ways to use Final Cut. If you are a visual learner, than using it almost everyday will help. It certainly helped me.

I wonder how I'd do on that test? I'm sure I'd get something like a C...75% or so. Maybe I should try the practice exam.

Back