Upgrading my computer advice.

DavidBeier

I've got a PC with 2 512 sticks in it and four slots. I decided I wanted to get another gig of ram and ordered a 1 gig stick. I tried everything but I couldn't get the two different RAM's to play nice. I could get it to start with the 1 gig stick or the 2 512s but never both together. I called my PC manufacturor (Ibuypower) and they now tell me that my motherboard can't take to different types of memory. I can either use 1 gigs sticks or 512 but not both (kind of pissed off they didn't mention this when I talked to them before buying the RAM).

Now I'm left with a debate. Do I go ahead, return the 1 gig stick, and get two more 512s or do I bit he bullet and get another 1 giger? On the one hand, getting two more 512s and returning the 1 gig will be cheaper and mean my old 512s don't go to waste. On the other hand, it means I'll be out of slots and won't be able to upgrade again without swapping ALL the stuff out.

Thoughts? I can edit 720p ok with 1 gig (on my AMD Athlong 64 3200) but 1080p chugs like crazy. I'd like to get another gig now and maybe update to a dual core in a while too so 1080p will be stable. Does anyone think I'll really need more than 2 gigs? Are there any other good reasons for getting two one gig sticks and forking over another $130?

Back