Mojo and downconverting HD to SD

DC

Cinematographiliac
I was under the impression that Mojo (original version) downconverts HD on the fly to an SD monitor:
http://www.avid.com/products/dna/mojo/index.asp
"In addition, Avid Mojo and Avid Mojo SDI let you monitor and output HD timelines in SD with real-time down-convert."

I'm finding this not to be the case when working with native MXF files (DVCProHD, 720PN, 23.976fps). Is there something I'm missing? Does the Mojo do anything while working in this type of project?

I'm bummed because I'd like to stream my HD timeline (via Mojo's Firewire) to my DVR for a quick SD copy to burn onto a DVD-R. And at the very least be able to view it on my SD program monitor.

I see. Not bad though. Thanks, Michael.

How can I easily convert a sequence to the highest quality DNxHD? It certainly would be nice to use my program monitor to view and to color correct.

You don't need the highest quality DNxHD to do this. DBxHD115 is more than enough to deal with a 100 MB/s format like DVCPRO HD.

Highlight sequence and select consolidate/transcode from the menu.

Michael

Ok, I actually went to try this, It only gave me a choice of DNxHD 60 or 90. I chose 90. I still can't get my Mojo to output video to my program monitor. :(

ANSWER (I think):

"When you are in your HD project and you switch the project type to SD, it should enable single field SD output on the Mojo but ONLY when you switch to SD inside the project. Look in your project bin (where the bins, f/x, etc. reside) - it has a tab called "Format." Go there and set it to SD to enable Mojo streaming of DNxHD transcoded HD footage."

[Nope, it didn't work.]

Last edited:
Is this for version 5.5 only - because this option is NOT in version 5.2.4 (on PC).
Under format I only see:

video and project type 720p 23.976

The problem there is that you CANNOT change the project type for 720p 23.976 projects. It says so in the manual. Now why that is I have no idea.

Therefore getting an SD downconvert from Mojo for a 720p 23.976 project might be a brick wall.

DC: I haven't seen anything like you describe in my project settings. It does raise a good point: I too recall reading about what Mojo was intended to do. Interesting to note that HD content will play out through the firewire port if you have something that will accept a DVCPro HD signal (like a deck)...in the meantime I have been transcoding everything from HD to SD.

I've also discovered that for me to transcode 720/24P media from P2 to an SD timeline that has a project setting of 23.976 SEEMS simple enough, but what I have found is that now when I try to do a Digital Cut, everything works fine except I cannot get a Component signal to show up on my Digi Beta. The audio comes through fine and the cables work (I can make this work without incident in a 30i timeline). So it appears that nothing I do in the Avid will enable me to get SD out from HD originating material, which is goofy because I transcoded to MXF50P and it plays back fine in the timeline -it simply won't output to tape. Any solutions?

JT

Last edited:
Yeah, i've been trying to jump back and forth to see if anyone is shedding light on this. It's crazy -I've been a beta tester for this, but I have had zero feedback since Mike A has switched hats.

I tried to take all of this into a 30i project and when I go to transcode, it doesn't do anything, doesn't actually perform the transcode (in this case to DV50 OMF)...the bin just sits there. This still remains an issue, but see below:

OK: here is the latest: I have HD content on the timeline which is a 720 project. It plays back and I can in fact monitor component...I feel like an idiot...I switched VTR's (my digi beta showed component In as working but it wouldn't acccept the signal, which means it is probably whacked) to my DSR2000 and the component in worked fine -all it enables me to do is crash record: I cannot do a digital cut, so presumably the transcode will work.

jt

Last edited:
Joe_Digital said:
It's crazy -I've been a beta tester for this, but I have had zero feedback since Mike A has switched hats.

Beta tester? For what? Who is Mike A. and what happened with him?

Well, I still haven't had a chance to test anything else. I will try tonight, if I have time. Too bad MichaelP is on vacation for another week or so. I mean, too bad for us.

:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Thanks for keeping up with this and trying to help solve the mystery. :)

was referring to Mike Asebrook at Avid, the guy formerly in charge of Beta testing...but now he's been promoted so info and .dot updates on betas of all software has basically stopped since 5.5.1.

The problem with my workaround is that I cannot link back to the original time code, which means my timeline with the content on it becomes the new timecode I use with tape once I get to online. Another one of those crappy things to deal with -offline/online are now much more blurred when dealing with native MXF files...as I was commenting about the HDX900, I still prefer tape because of all this quirkiness. I'm not saying it is bad, only less stress.
jt

Ok, I follow you. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Here's what I did this morning. I exported my 720p/23.976 sequence as a Quicktime movie (DV Stream, interlaced). Then I imported that sequence into a 30i project. The result looks/sounds good EXCEPT for the motion. It's hard to explain exactly how it looks. Maybe a bit choppy/strobing as if it was a webcam playing video at a 15-18 framerate or something like that? So I'm assuming the pulldown didn't get added when I exported.

Does anybody know how to export a 720p/23.976 sequence as a DV Stream (or similar useable format) so that it plays correctly in a 30i timeline after I import it? I really need some specifics on the process and the appropriate settings.

Thanks,

D~C

I figured it out. FINALLY!

Exported to a Quicktime movie and adjusted all the settings. DV/DVCPro at 29.97 interlaced. Best quality. Desired aspect ratio. Blah blah blah. It worked perfectly.

Now it seems so simple looking back . . .

[sigh]

Back