Color Calibration

vladwolodarsky

Hey Guys-

I'm getting ready to color correct a segment that is going to live online, not in the broadcast world. I'm using Avid Xpress DV ver. 4.6 on Mac OSX. The last project I color corrected was on Xpress Pro running on a PC. Before we color corrected the previous project we went into the control panel to properly setup the output to the monitor. Do you need to tweak anything in utilities or system preferences to properly set up a computer monitor for color correction on a mac? Thanks again for your time and help.

TAPPCARD2NDAC35200.jpg

System
Avid Xpress DV v. 4.6
Mac OSX

You should probably set your gamma to PC levels, as opposed to the Mac levels. Seeing as most of your viewers will be on PC. Color correcting solely on a computer monitor is risky, since most people don't bother calibrating them, but I would just run through the expert color calibration in the displays window under the color tab.

You should probably set your gamma to PC levels, as opposed to the Mac levels. Seeing as most of your viewers will be on PC. Color correcting solely on a computer monitor is risky, since most people don't bother calibrating them, but I would just run through the expert color calibration in the displays window under the color tab.

I totally disagree with the above statment, just go to a best buys and look at all the pc's, none of them are calibrated the same way... Some people will see your movie, on mac's, pc's , some people use older monitors, some newer etc... To add to the problem, once you compress your movie to play on the web, it will take a lot off color informations out anyways...

The best thing to do, is to grade your movie as if it was for broadcast, in the highest quality possible, and then compress what you have so that it play smoothly on the web.

Back