The New Display

yea, it is....

for SDR it's a class of one really, with the pana 2000 next in line,
the lcd based 27-> 31" too much ($), too little (")
all have issues with linearity, no advantage to anything but a 31" @ 30k screen on that file
my plan is to buy 6x Cx48" OLED, retun the 4x worst, keep the hero for my studio, and the second best for my suite at home

yea, it is....

for SDR it's a class of one really, with the pana 2000 next in line,
the lcd based 27-> 31" too much ($), too little (")
all have issues with linearity, no advantage to anything but a 31" @ 30k screen on that file
my plan is to buy 6x Cx48" OLED, retun the 4x worst, keep the hero for my studio, and the second best for my suite at home

That is stellar! Definitely warrants me upgrading from my plasma finally. Your idea of buying several at one go seems like a good idea.

One thing I like about LG consumer TV's in general is they have a consumer accessible expert calibration mode that gives full control over settings for instrument based calibrations (or by eye with test charts if you are an old broadcast engineer like me). They have a guided smart calibration test mode for eyeballing too.
We bought a new LG 65" for the living room last winter, a pandemic survival purchase. It is a 7 series LED HDR set, black level is about two stops above the OLED's, but couldn't afford one of those. It took a few adjustment passes to get it dialed in for the room and for HDR content display vs normal REC709. Using it as a reference for judging HLG grades from the Bolex.
For grading I use a 10-bit HDR 4K 32" LG gaming monitor built on the same panel and platform as their pro grading monitor version, but with B-grade panels and less sophisticated internal software. Not quite as even if you look at a flat field shading test chart, but more than adequate for grading web videos, or even broadcast/industrial stuff. You have to use an external HDMI video capture card that outputs 10 bit YUV to see 10 bit on the display. For $350 it rocks though.

Last edited:
What model would that be, Razz? That's a great price.

My 2008/2007 plasma developed an unfixble (or not-worth-the-cost-to-fixable) problem recently and I was looking for a (bigger and better) replacement, be nice if I could also use that to grade the extremely occasional unpaid/hobby project.

Thanks! I'll do something similar this week, and try to post screenshots. In the meantime, here one of the more thorough reviews of the CG2420 that I have found:
https://www.color-management-guide.com/eizo-coloredge-cs2420-monitor-review.html

How is the LG uniformity by eye for you?

By eye the uniformity looks pretty good. Get's darker around the edges of the screen - a little more pronounced on the left and right sides and not so much on the tops and bottoms, but way better than my old iMac (which looked like a vintage lens if you did a full screen white page)

Also, if anyone is interested I finally figured out why my colors inside of premiere looked so drastically different (brighter and way over saturated). Since this monitor is a P3 display you have to click this option inside of Premiere to get accurate colors:
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 5.52.40 PM.jpg

Here's the explanation: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pr...or management,from the Preferences dialog box.

I'm pretty excited about the improvements in the LG OLED tv's though. going to keep a look out for a sale on the 40" after the new year.

NetFlicks has a guidline to monitors / callibration / enviroment for gradeing at home:
=========================================================
Recommended SDR Displays - Calibrated for Rec.709/BT.1886 at 100-nits

SDR (only) Reference Options
Sony PVM-A250
Sony BVM-F250
Dolby PRM-4220
Flanders FSI DM250

SDR Consumer Options
LG OLED C8/C9 (2018-2019 Model)
LG OLED CX (2020 Model)
*Sony OLED A9F/A9G
*Panasonic OLED GZ1000/GZ2000
Apple iPad Pro
Apple Pro Display XDR
EIZO CG319X
HP Dreamcolor z27x, z32x

Recommended HDR Displays - Calibrated for SMPTE 2084 PQ / P3-D65*

HDR Reference Options
Must meet Dolby Vision grading requirements
HDR Consumer Options

These HDR Consumer options are for review purposes or pre-grading only, and not to be used for final color grading work.

LG OLED C8/C9 (2018-2019 Model)
LG OLED CX (2020 Model)
*Sony OLED A9F/A9G
*Panasonic OLED GZ1000/GZ2000
Apple iPad Pro (2nd generation or higher)
Apple Pro Display XDR

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios....360053935833-Remote-Color-Grading-and-Reviews

Last edited:
fantastic info Dermot!

i’ve also read that LG OLED is rumored to be 20% cheaper from 2021 onward.

diffrent needs / RoI in my case
i replaced a Panasonic 55" BT300 in my studio with an LG CX55, and the PVM250A at home with a CX48
they both show near zero issues with linearity and callibrate to well under de2 (55 is 1.4max / 0.6 avg, the 48 is 1.2 max / 0.8 avg) so both perfect for critical work
the both are tranparent replacements for the calibrated screens they replaced (as expected) with the advantage of scaleing UHD at 1:1
i got lucky in the panel lottery, many LG screens are best put back in the box and returned in the first hour, mine turned out to be in the lot good ones, that's luck, i was prepared to retun as many times as needed to get a screen without linearity, banding or black nose issues

diffrent needs / RoI in my case
i replaced a Panasonic 55" BT300 in my studio with an LG CX55, and the PVM250A at home with a CX48
they both show near zero issues with linearity and callibrate to well under de2 (55 is 1.4max / 0.6 avg, the 48 is 1.2 max / 0.8 avg) so both perfect for critical work
the both are tranparent replacements for the calibrated screens they replaced (as expected) with the advantage of scaleing UHD at 1:1
i got lucky in the panel lottery, many LG screens are best put back in the box and returned in the first hour, mine turned out to be in the lot good ones, that's luck, i was prepared to retun as many times as needed to get a screen without linearity, banding or black nose issues
That's bunk. Panel consistency of LG OLED displays is not at all the crapshoot you contend it is. For anecdotal evidence, out of 4,323 customer reviews at Amazon alone, the LG 55CX received 4.8/5 for picture quality. I've owned two LG OLEDs myself and the picture quality of both is excellent. I calibrated the CX with Calman but the improvement was visually indistinguishable from the already outstanding factory calibrated setting. A well-known director friend told me his 48CX was also nearly perfect. Tests by reputable sites like flatpanelsHD, rtings. com and reviewers like HDTVTest confirm that LG panels are excellent value and they consistently turn up in 'best of' lists year after year. Until the pandemic, calibrated LG CX, C9, C8 and C7 series OLEDs were the only displays recommended by Dolby Vision for use as consumer reference monitors. No other consumer brand approaches the level of calibration made possible by the partnership of LG and Calman. Comparing the chances of getting a good panel to the odds of winning the lottery, like so much other nonsense on the Internet, is just plain ludicrous. Black nose issues sound interesting, though - can we hear more about them?

Last edited:
Jon:

we got four screens, a 48 and 3x 55, returned two of the 55's for linearity
out of the box the "keeper" 55 was de max error of 21.7, avg 16.3.. and that's really bad for a colorist, i'm sure the 4.8 out of 5 users on Amazon don't care / don't know / can't see
after cal the 55 was max 1.4, avg 0.6
never callibrated the other two 55's, the went back inside of a day or two
so not a1,000,00:1 chance, more like a 50/50 chance of getting a good working tool
i'm sure the two new owners of an open box CX55 are happy campers and have written glowing reviews of their great screens
and the screens i returned will likely never be callibrated anyway, if they could not see eth linearity issues, they prolly don't see a error of 21.7 in cyan either

Back