Getting 24PN to play nice with firestore

markinhifi

So, I set the camera to record at 720P/24PN and then my FS-100 is set to Quicktime PN. Both have the latest firmware installed. Is there something i'm missing? It won't record in PN mode.

And it still records in native format by only having the Firestore set to pN?

EDIT: See, here's my problem. I want to do slow motion. All the guides i'm reading say the camera MUST be in pN mode for it to work.. I've been trying it in non-native format and my motion looks very choppy, despite me shooting at 48p. Is it not possible to do slow motion while using a Firestore?

Last edited:
Mark:

I have only used the FS-100 once and hated it, sent it back. But I can tell you for a fact that the HVX/HPX camcorders do not send any signal out the FW when in pN mode. There is no protocol for pN in the spec, it's kind of an official hack from Panasonic.

I would contact your FS re-seller or FE to get clarification, I have never even seen the 3.0 software.

Dan

Yes, camera in 720P mode (NOT pN) and FireStore set to P2 PN (or Quicktime PN if you're using FCP). You also have to set the VFR option to "ON" in the FireStore menus. And you have to have at least version 3.0 and preferably 4.0 of the software for the FS-100.

I must still be doing something wrong. I followed this tutorial (skipping the pN part, since it's geared towards P2) http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/tutorials/trainup/5993.html (which coincidentally you wrote, Barry) as well as followed the additional steps you said here. For the record, my FireStore is running the 4.0.1 software. Yet my footage still looks like this.

scris5.jpg

picture21og2.jpg

Last edited:
Play back your footage frame-by-frame in the FireStore to the camera, and I'll bet you it looks nothing like that.

Therefore, I would wager that you have some sort of frame-blending setting set wrong in your FCP sequence?

I actually tested the FS-100 years ago when the firmware presented this capability.

Shot 24pN equivalent QT using a HVX200, and it imported without issue into the DVCProHD easy set up for 720/24p without incident.

Unfortunately the FS100 has some pretty confusing menus.

Wish I could help, but you are not doing something correctly

When I play it back on the FireStore, it plays in real time. For some reason, I keep having to slow it down 50% in FCP which i'm guessing is where my problem may be.

Can anybody help? I need this working flawlessly by Saturday night. I followed all instructions given in the tutorial above as well as the additional info Barry provided. When I play back the footage (on the FireStore as well as in FCP) it plays back in real time, and as far as I understand, it's not supposed to. (I'm shooting at 48 - and when I decrease the speed in FCP to 50% it looks choppy)

Last edited:
VFR had two options. 24p and 30p. I set it to 24p because that's what my time base is. I then recorded for a few seconds, go back to check VFR and it is switched back to OFF by itself. It also switches back to Quicktime instead of Quicktime PN by itself too.

Oh, and another weird thing. I open up the files in Quicktime and it's telling me all my clips are 59.94 FPS. I'm not stupid, i'm following the tutorial exactly. Frame rate is 48, Rec format is 720P/24P. Firestore is set to Quicktime PN with VFR at 24P. I don't know what could be wrong.

Last edited:
You have not read the FS manual and you don't understand the camera function either.

Slow down, read both manuals and everything will work for you.

For slow motion shooting at 24p set the camera to a frame rate higher than 24 according to how slow you want it. The opposite is also true for fast moving pictures.

You most set your camera to 720 24p and the FS-100 either P2pn or QTpn as Barry said. Then you most go to SETUP menu VFR MODE and choose 24p (or 30p if you are shooting 30p) You will not record sound under this settings, so make sure the you don't want sound.

Once you have turned off your FS the SETUP-VFR MODE goes back to OFF. You will need to go back to SETUP again if you want to mess up with VFR again. Otherwise it records regular speed.

You can use the variable frame rate in camera while keeping the VFR MODE in the FS OFF to achieve special effects and still keep regular speed. This is useful for example if you want to create the feel of an old 8mm film camera by shooting 24p at 18 fps.

I fought with a similar issue and was reading the manual all night: VFR ON in FS 100 = NO AUDIO

Why would you need audio at off speeds?

If for some reason you need it, there is a work around it.

I haven't done it in a while but I think it was like this:

Set the camera the same way, but the FS set it to P2 (not pn)

It should record at regular speed with sound. Then on your editor use the VFR Converter to convert it. You will have a clip with regular speed and sound and 2nd one at off speed.

That's exactly what i've been doing. This time I got it to record and there was no sound, so i'm on the right track. Frame rate was 48fps on a 720p/24p format. BUT In this case, wouldn't the outcome be half of normal speed? I held up a clock and the second hand moved every 1.5 seconds. Shouldn't it be 2? Or am I not understanding? I want half speed video.

Shows me the same thing in FCP. (720p/24p timeline) I ran another stopwatch test and it's actually between 1.2 to 1.3 seconds for each real time second.

I have once again spent ALL day trying various settings but still can't get this to work. There must be something set wrong somewhere that no tutorial or any person is telling me to change. It's just not working. I've read the manuals 2X over, I can't figure this out... Anybody?

I wish I had a P2 to test it out with. I'm almost positive it's the FireStore that's causing my problems.

Back