The Panasonic EVA-1 is shown at Cine Gear

But unless the EF mount in theses manual zooms (which are nice lenses, at reasonable prices) is shimable like the Angenieux interchangeable mount is, good luck on getting them Parfocal on a still camera EF mount, which is fixed, and has a very loose FFD tollerence in manufacturing, as discovered with the Blackmagic EF mount cameras. MFT mounts can vary from one camera company/line to another also.

In my previous post, the limitations in EF zooms, was for Servo EF zooms, that would meet the documentary/wedding shooter, who are the main market for the EVA-1. It would be great, if Panny did change it to an interchangeable mount, that would be grand, or even a beefed up shimable, locking EF mount as found on the C300 would also be better.
All lens mounts are shimmable and all camera mounts are shimmable. The EF lenses, generally, unlike PL lenses and cameras, tend not to be serviced by dedicated techs that have the right equipment and know how to shim camera and/or lens mounts...

Yes, most lens mounts on lenses can be shimmed, depending on the lens. But Sorry, according to Duclos Lens and AbelCine, a still camera type auto EF mount is Not easily shimmed, and most techs I know will not try to shim them either. Due to the design of the standard EF mount, shimming one to the correct FFD to match a given lens is very difficult, and once done, can effect how other EF lenses will interact as far as Focus goes. A stil, camera auto mount. MFT and Nikon included, were not designed to be shimmed, as they are not required to be, given the auto focus systems the cameras with these mounts uses, can correct for minor variations. Nor are auto-lenses designed to be shimmed to correct Focus issues. Sigma uses an electron firmware doc to make corrections in its auto lenses, not mechanical shimming.

However, most manual Cine lenses can be shimmed to correct a given camera mount, but then it will only be accurate as far as Focus and witness marks go, on the camera it was setup for, which is fine, for single camera operators that would be using the EVA-1 or C100/200, or a FS6/7. As the camera mount wears, the lenses will need re-shimming to correct for the wear. Having lens mount like PL that was designed to be shimmed, means you shim the camera lens mount, leaving your lenses set to their correct FFD for the mount they were designed for. Useually, lenses are shimmed to correct the colimination and FFD settings, not adjust it to a given camera. The cost for shimming a lens mount is useually a 1-hr minimum, so you are looking at $75-150 per lens to get this done.
Cheers

That's exactly the problem- shimming lenses to camera and shimming cameras to lenses.
Both should be shimmed to the correct STANDARD. Only STANDARD (44mm in EF case) makes interchangeable lenses possible. Exactly what I meant when mentioned the competence of the techs...
Sorry about jacking the thread but I've dealt with this as long as digital motion cameras have been around- really annoying....
Back to EVA- I think they've got the message-no interchangeable mounts= camera DOA (or good chance for it...)

That's exactly the problem- shimming lenses to camera and shimming cameras to lenses.
Both should be shimmed to the correct STANDARD. Only STANDARD (44mm in EF case) makes interchangeable lenses possible. Exactly what I meant when mentioned the competence of the techs...
Sorry about jacking the thread but I've dealt with this as long as digital motion cameras have been around- really annoying....
Back to EVA- I think they've got the message-no interchangeable mounts= camera DOA (or good chance for it...)

So my guess is that once this camera is out in the world, your company will look at making an M4/3 custom mount on the EVA...curious as to what the Sony mount change cost...of course you'd have to see whether Panasonic lands up offering optional mounts...if this camera lands up on the same shelf as the Yagh, they may well....for me that will be too late...I will buy another camera....feel free to PM me re the Sony conversion cost....thanks

You just can not slap a new mount on a EF mount camera, designed with a 44mm FFD, unless the new mount like a Nikon F (46.5mm) or a PL mount (52mm), unless the existing EF mount is designed to include some of the 44mm FFD in its own removeable mounting, making the remaining camera lens Turret FFD shorter. MFT is 19.25mm, and Sony E mount is shorter yet at 18mm, which is how you are able to adapt many other (longer FFD) mounts to them. Looking at the EVA-1 photos, the mount does not look that long, but again, hard to tell from the photos.

The Blackmagic crowd went through this with the Ursa Mini when it first came out, so see of the PL version, could be adapted back to a dumb EF or Nikon mount, Ilya at HotRod Cameras Gabe it a go, and it was a non-starter, didn't work. BM's solution was the Ursa Mini Prom with a factory designed interchangeable lens mount including the longer Canon EF, Nikon and PL mounts, along with the B4 mount (48mm). Panasonic needs to take the same approach BM did with the UM Pro) with the EVA-1, adding factory designed interchangeable mounts in the same range. MFT and Sony E mount are non-starters for the EVA-1, unfortunately.
Cheers

Agreed!!
I think they could do better than that. All that's needed is a serial 2 wires and power. So 4 contacts on the camera front are enough. Add to that strong mechanical bayonet setup as close to the sensor as possible (with provisions for the filter wheel) Something close in shape to PL but different enough so peeps don't confuse it and try to mount PL lenses, and voila: whole new world opens up for Panasonic.
Honestly I don't see a reason not to do it other than typical "Japan Inc." fear of innovation ;-)
Sony did a great job with the PMW camera FZ mount but, from discussion with them- they regretted making it 19mm- they said if they were to do it again it would be even shorter. Anonymous source- don't quote me on that please...;-)

Last edited:
For me the Panasonic’s EVA-1 is an overpriced disappointment, it should have come in at 4K with a MFT lens mount and variable scan mapping for other lenses.

It's only a disappointment if you convinced yourself that this was a follow on the AF-100. It is not, and Panny never gave any indication that it was. What it is, is a competitor to the new Canon C-200 and the new Sony (forgot its designation) also announced in the last couple of days.

This is Panasonic being competitive, going toe-to-toe with Canon and Sony. And that's a good thing.

As a GH4 / GH5 / A7s ii shooter I think this is a fantastic move on Panasonic's part. When I moved from my XF305 to the GH4 several years ago I quickly realized that investing in M43 glass was a short lived path. I quickly switched to investing in EF glass which greatly paid off when I decided to pick up the A7s ii. Alot of professionals that shoot on M43 cameras that I see use EF glass, I see more semi-pros or hobby types using M43 glass. Not always but on average that is what I personally see. M43 glass is great for pros that want lightweight and portability.

Looks like a great camera to compete with the ever growing sub $10k market. The slow motion is really nice feature to have, faster than alot of what is out there.

Agreed!!
I think they could do better than that. All that's needed is a serial 2 wires and power. So 4 contacts on the camera front are enough. Add to that strong mechanical bayonet setup as close to the sensor as possible (with provisions for the filter wheel) Something close in shape to PL but different enough so peeps don't confuse it and try to mount PL lenses, and voila: whole new world opens up for Panasonic.
Honestly I don't see a reason not to do it other than typical "Japan Inc." fear of innovation ;-)
Sony did a great job with the PMW camera FZ mount but, from discussion with them- they regretted making it 19mm- they said if they were to do it again it would be even shorter. Anonymous source- don't quote me on that please...;-)

I would go as far as saying that Sony set the bar with the FZ mount. I've been "blasted" a few times when I've called out Panasonics design with the VariCam LT swappable mount. My opinion, you shouldn't have to use tools to swap a camera mount in the field. Several people have said how quick and easy it is to swap the LT mount and I've watched videos of it being done. Bottom line, it's still many times slower and more cumbersome than swapping mounts on Sony's FZ system. It's literally seconds to take off and put on a Sony mount. It's kind of like the difference of trying to open a door by popping the hinges off with a hammer and screwdriver vs. just turning the doorknob.

The Sony FZ system is not a interchange lens mount per-se, it is a fixed FZ mount (similar to the E and MFT mounts) with interchange lens mount adapters that lock on, so it is going to be a fast field change. Not saying this a a bad design choice, it works, but it is just not as strong a mount system, adding another wear point, as the true I terchangeable mounts like the Varicam LT or BM Mini Pro system uses.

Cheers

Last edited:
just watched the live presentation - I'm interested, a lovely built in codec, no messing with external recorders, 4K up to 60p 400Mbits/sec and at $7999, lets see what the European price is.

The EVA-1 is growing on me, the more I look at it, the better it looks! I just wish it had optional lens mount to EF.

Yes. I suppose the changeable mount on the VariCam (which is a fantastic option) is only reserved for the 'Cine' camera. The EVA is a prosumer camera, really.

It half surprises me the number of people talking about a C200 over an EVA.

As it is a no brainer choice. The C200 is an extremely limited camera that can **ONLY** do raw, why would you ever want to live with that restriction??? (if you ignore its crippled 8bit internal codec. Plus never mind about the future codec addition next, the camera marketplace will be a whole new ballgame by then!)

Go for the waaaaaaaay more fuller featured EVA1!

The EVA1 is a swiss army knife, packed full of handy tools.

The C200 is just a plain old knife, with one purpose.

The Blackmagic crowd went through this with the Ursa Mini when it first came out, so see of the PL version, could be adapted back to a dumb EF or Nikon mount, Ilya at HotRod Cameras Gabe it a go, and it was a non-starter, didn't work. BM's solution was the Ursa Mini Prom with a factory designed interchangeable lens mount including the longer Canon EF, Nikon and PL mounts, along with the B4 mount (48mm). Panasonic needs to take the same approach BM did with the UM Pro) with the EVA-1, adding factory designed interchangeable mounts in the same range. MFT and Sony E mount are non-starters for the EVA-1, unfortunately.
Cheers

Exactly!

And another lesson you can take from what BMD did is:

BMD released first the BMCC EF, because they saw the popularity of the EF mount (like Panasonic is unfortunately doing with the EVA1...).

But then BMD realised their mistake and quickly also released the much better BMCC MFT! Hooray.

I would go as far as saying that Sony set the bar with the FZ mount. I've been "blasted" a few times when I've called out Panasonics design with the VariCam LT swappable mount. My opinion, you shouldn't have to use tools to swap a camera mount in the field. Several people have said how quick and easy it is to swap the LT mount and I've watched videos of it being done. Bottom line, it's still many times slower and more cumbersome than swapping mounts on Sony's FZ system. It's literally seconds to take off and put on a Sony mount. It's kind of like the difference of trying to open a door by popping the hinges off with a hammer and screwdriver vs. just turning the doorknob.

Hahaha! I like that analogy!
And as a Sony FZ mount camera owner, I agree.

The only real lens options for this camera, are the Canon EF "Pro" Cine zooms (starting at $26K)and a few less expensive, slow (T/4) Prosummer Cine style zooms starting at $6K, and six prime Cine lenses starting at $4K.

I'd rather use the Fujinon 18-55, which is available for MFT mount. And a fraction of the cost!
(and the Fujinon 50-135)

Back