AF100 with the Sachtler ACE

Fernando Lino

Hi guys,

I want to buy the Sachtler ACE to use with the AF100. I've been using the Manfrotto 701hdv head with the 055XB legs for a few weeks but the tripod has a few problems when I'm panning...

Does anyone uses the Sachtler ACE with the AF100? How has it been so far?

Tripé meu 2.jpg

Besides the camera I'm using the Olof shoulder bracket, a Sanken microphone with the Rycote Softie Lyre Mount. With the Lumix 14-140mm for example it will weight approximately 7 pounds.

Do you think this is a good tripod for that weight? I don't plan to buy rails in the near future and I'll also travel. The only thing that I might buy is a Sound Devices Pix 240 or a monitor.

Also, there's the price factor. I can't go above the 650 dollars for now...

Many thanks

I haven't used one but the load capacity of 8.8lbs is kind of low. Not very much room for growth if you add extras to the camera or want to use a heavier camera as well. I would save up and get something that can hold twice that weight. Tripods will out last your camera or several cameras so better to just purchase one good one or maybe a light weight and a heavy duty.

Load capacity for an Ace is 4 kg (about 8.8 lbs). Adding a monitor might push you over the weight rating.

I've played with an Ace, but was considering it for a much lighter weight camera. It would probably be quite nice with a GH2, but I suspect that it's not enough support for your rig. IDK.

This Miller looks like it fits many bills.
[h=1]Miller Compass 12 Solo DV 2-Stage Alloy Tripod[/h]
Maximum Height70.7" (1795 mm)
Minimum Height15.9" (404 mm)
Mounting Standard2.92" (75 mm) ball levelling
Payload Range4-22 lb (2-10 kg)
Payload Capacity22 lb (10 kg)
Transport Length34.3" (870 mm)
Construction2-Stage
MaterialAlloy/rubber
Weight15.7 lb (7.10 kg)

Cost $1700 but has a nice payload range.

Load capacity for an Ace is 4 kg (about 8.8 lbs). Adding a monitor might push you over the weight rating.

I've played with an Ace, but was considering it for a much lighter weight camera. It would probably be quite nice with a GH2, but I suspect that it's not enough support for your rig. IDK.

Thanks Bruce, I might take a while to add the monitor… The Sachtler performed well with just the AF100?

I just need something to pan and hold the camera for now to be true. I plan to work with this one and when I get the money to sell it and buy a Miller…

This Miller looks like it fits many bills.
Miller Compass 12 Solo DV 2-Stage Alloy Tripod

Maximum Height
70.7" (1795 mm)
Minimum Height
15.9" (404 mm)
Mounting Standard
2.92" (75 mm) ball levelling
Payload Range
4-22 lb (2-10 kg)
Payload Capacity
22 lb (10 kg)
Transport Length
34.3" (870 mm)
Construction
2-Stage
Material
Alloy/rubber
Weight
15.7 lb (7.10 kg)

Cost $1700 but has a nice payload range.

Thanks Eric, that tripod seems amazing. I also like the Solo DS20 for it's lighter weight and size although the payload is not as good as the 12 Solo…

A good tripod is a safe investment but I live in Portugal, the economy here is in ruins. To spend that kind of money on a tripod right now wouldn't be reasonable… I consider myself lucky because I'm working and I'm receiving money from my work. But work can end soon and then I would have a great tripod, no work and no money…

Today I saw two ads asking for "volunteers" directors. Directors that would work on a daily basis without receiving any pay… One was for a program that is being broadcasted in cable television and another to be cameraman for two weeks for one of the most talked about pop bands at the moment in the country… So you can see the picture…

Thanks for the advice.

maybe this thread got some info that'll change your mind on your choice? :
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?288523-Tripod-recommendation-down-to-these-three

I link, cuz I'm a noob when it comes to tripods (see the thread i linked and who asked some questions. . .yep thats me ^^)

Thanks for the thread Hydarnes !

Got it! Maybe a used set would be good. Might be harder to find internationally but could save you some cash.

I considered the Ace- but the 8lb rating was too low (I think they made this tripod to tap into the DSLR market). Sachtlers with higher load capactiy were too expensive as are the Millers (but worth it I'm sure). I wound up going with:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html

Twice the load rating, and I got it for about $100 less during a Manfrotto promotion- so it was a no-brainer for me. Works great for my needs.

I considered the Ace- but the 8lb rating was too low (I think they made this tripod to tap into the DSLR market). Sachtlers with higher load capactiy were too expensive as are the Millers (but worth it I'm sure). I wound up going with:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html

Twice the load rating, and I got it for about $100 less during a Manfrotto promotion- so it was a no-brainer for me. Works great for my needs.

Thanks, that seems like a great alternative. I heard that the head is not as good as the Sachtler but twice the load rating…

I use the Sachtler ACE with my AF100 and I love it. Does well, even with my full rig setup

Can you submit a photo of your rig with the Sachtler? Thanks a lot.

Sure. Although it should be noted that with the setup like mine it becomes a little top heavy. So even on its highest counterbalance setting if you let go it will slowly drop forwards, but this doesn't bother me too much. If it is just the camera/lens only or a lighter rig it won't need the highest setting and won't drop.
P1030043.jpgP1030048.jpgP1030052.jpgP1030053.jpg

Many thanks Amweber21. I think I'll go with the Sachtler then. The fact that is lighter than the Manfrotto 540 is another good reason to buy it...

I'm going to do a lot of travelling for a documentary that I want to do next year on the road so I'll travel only with the kit in the photo that I posted and maybe a Sound Devices. Two kg less than the Manfrotto 540 might not seem much but on the road it might make a lot of difference...

And also, because it seems like a good tripod to have when one wants to shoot just with just a camera and a lens. Later I can buy a Miller or something to work with a heavier kit...

Hey not a problem! :) Right around when the Ace came out for preorder I bought a Manfrotto tripod of a similar price. A part of it broke right as I was pulling it out of the bag! I tried it out but sent it back, and luckily put my order in for an Ace. Much smoother and constructed in my opinion. ONLY thing is better on the manfrotto is the carry bag. haha
I've taken it on some travels in a light setup like you plan on and it's great. I opted for the ground spreader version, but you might want the mid-level. Up to you :)

Back