Lumix G Vario 14-140mm

Downunderwild

I'm sure there are some threads on issues with these lens, please let me know where I can found the users honest opinions.
I'm thinking of purchasing these lenses, so I have a lens that communicates with the camera.
Is there is some problems that I should be aware, or better lens, please let me know or point me on the direction of current threads on this subject.

It's a horrible lens imho, slow and soft, but like most people I own one and find myself using it a lot. It's the only real "1 lens" option if you're needing to change shot sizes a lot without time to switch lenses. I use primes for set up shots, but in a live or R&G situation, it does the job well enough.

I'm sure there are some threads on issues with these lens, please let me know where I can found the users honest opinions.
I'm thinking of purchasing these lenses, so I have a lens that communicates with the camera.
Is there is some problems that I should be aware, or better lens, please let me know or point me on the direction of current threads on this subject.

I like it mate, its not a perfect lens but a good all rounder for general shooting. Never to be compared with a $2K + serious lens of course. Good for those who havent got deep pockets like some here. ;)

The 14-140 is the only native M4/3 lens I own.
I generally keep mine mounted to a hacked GH1 for when I need image stabilized handheld shots.

It's a horrible lens imho, slow and soft
Soft? I've heard it called many things, but never soft! Have you compared it against other lenses? I compared it against a $28,000 Arri Alura and found that on an AF100, they were equally sharp.

It's a decent lens, it's slow and it temporarily loses focus while you zoom. Other than that, it's pretty much the most versatile all-in-one lens there is for this camera. It's designed to mate well with the camera, the camera can control autofocus and automatic iris with this lens, and there's barrel distortion correction and chromatic aberration compensation built into the body which results in overall better-looking images.

If I had it to do over again, I might get the two Lumix X lenses (14-45 and 45-175) instead of the 14-140, but then again, maybe not; having one all-purpose do-it-all lens is pretty convenient.

When the new Lumix X 12-35 and 35-100 come out, those will (likely) be the main lenses for AF100 users. But those could be months or a year away or more. Until then, I think the 14-140 remains a decent choice, lacking really only in its slow aperture.

With enough light it's a great lens. sharp enough for me- stabilized, good zoom range, respectable autofocus speed. And it was free :)

Soft? I've heard it called many things, but never soft!

Yeah, that line confused me too. Slow? Yeah. But it's razor sharp. And if you're shooting outside during the day, it's an amazing lens. Autofocus, stabilized, really wide and a great zoom.

Barry echoes my experience exactly. "A" for sharpness, zoom range and camera integration (auto iris, focus, readouts in viewfinder, OIS), "C" for the slow aperture, "D" for mechanical performance (non-constant aperture, focus changes while zooming, no servo zoom, stepped iris). It's a very mixed bag of a lens but makes decent pictures in good light, and the zoom range makes it versatile. And it was free with my camera, got me started being able to make images right out of the box, which is not to be sneezed at as far as first impressions go. I wouldn't give it up to anything else currently on the market, although if they made a f/2.8 version with an ENG style variable speed servo I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

- Greg

Thanks everyone for all the help and valuable opinions, just one more thing, would the Pana Vario Elmar -14-150mm be a better performer or is just glass pricing??[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

I completely agree with what Greg said here. And I would also love a f/2.8 aperture a

I completely agree with what Greg said here. And I would also love a f/2.8 aperture a

Barry echoes my experience exactly. "A" for sharpness, zoom range and camera integration (auto iris, focus, readouts in viewfinder, OIS), "C" for the slow aperture, "D" for mechanical performance (non-constant aperture, focus changes while zooming, no servo zoom, stepped iris). It's a very mixed bag of a lens but makes decent pictures in good light, and the zoom range makes it versatile. And it was free with my camera, got me started being able to make images right out of the box, which is not to be sneezed at as far as first impressions go. I wouldn't give it up to anything else currently on the market, although if they made a f/2.8 version with an ENG style variable speed servo I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

- Greg

I completely agree with what Greg said here. And I would also love a f/2.8 aperture and a servo zoom!

Probably the best all around lens for this camera if you are shooting run and gun outdoors. it's not a cine lens, and yes it is a little slow to autofocus but it is razor sharp! A nice lens for sports & keeping up with action. Nice range too. Essential in my kit. Glad I bought it in addition to my primes & older Nikon f2.8 glass. Had my doubts before but it saved my bacon on my last video-style shoot.

Saw this post and thought I'd chime in on the Lumix 14-140mm. I just lost several shots on a lengthy shoot due to the AF function of this lens. I used it for the first of ten days of shooting and caught the problem when viewing the clips in my hotel room at the end of the day on a larger monitor. The focus motor 'hunts' under certain conditions resulting in a high frequency 'vibration' in the image, showing itself most noticeably on the frame edges, and very subtly elsewhere. There were several shots done at the maximum 140mm focal length and found the vibrations to be proportionally magnified and were unusable. A TV logic field monitor was used during the day and we did not notice the problem while shooting due to the small image size. The remaining days of the shoot we used the lens in manual mode and found no more problems. Thinking the lens were at fault, I tested it on my GH2 and it works perfectly. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Only used it once on AF, and owned it with my GH2. Pictures were sharp all the way and being so compact and versatile, makes it good for travel.

As for focus hunting, if and when shooting video. keep it at manual mode. To me, there is no reason to shoot video with AF except for photos on my GH2.

As usual it depends on your needs. Often i am doing jobs with limited time and lens changes just cost too much time. It turned out that the Lumix lens is a great allrounder, you just have to get used to its weaknesses. When zooming it is like recalibrating (?)...doesn't look nice, but i am cheeky now and say that zooming during shooting is something for videographers. And it is slow...well, shooting outside in summer i am happy about that fact and inside i am using lights and all is fine. Only shooting inside without light....a concert for instance....is critical, but again....that's something for video-cams in my opinion.
In the end you get an allrounder lens for a small price here.

Back