The AF100 Book - availability and ordering info

Barry, be sure to inform the Abel Cine folks about this book thing.

Also, the Abel Cine workshop on the 26-27, what about those who can't afford to attend due to dime or time constraints? Are you planning to record these and eventually sell the DVD?

I'm planning on attending as I'll be starting my first feature three days later, so it's film school for me, yippee! If you're not intending to record it and sell it, (or give it away) can we record the session, if not with cameras, possibly digital audio recorders? I just want something I can transcribe and use as a quick reference in the field. I have no ill intentions, but I'm going to get my cherry popped with a DP who, though good, hasn't laid hands on one of these AFs either.

Also, the Abel Cine workshop on the 26-27, what about those who can't afford to attend due to dime or time constraints? Are you planning to record these and eventually sell the DVD?
I am doing a separate DVD which will be much more useful than just a recorded presentation. The AF100 DVD is underway right now in fact. I have found that there are some people who simply will not (or do not want to) read a book, but learn much better interactively, and love and thrive on live interaction, hands-on, and the ability to do live Q&A, so that's why we do the seminars. There are others who can't afford to go, don't live in one of the seminar cities, and still prefer a live demonstration versus reading a book. And there are others who simply love having a book in their camera bag, a quick reference that they can have with them at all times rather than trying to pop in and play a DVD. So I am producing all those products (DVD, book, and seminar) so that the users can choose which way they prefer.

There is a CD with it, the same as with the HPX170. The only book/dvd combo I did was The DVX Book/DVD, all subsequent have been a book/CD-ROM combo.

Thanks Barry. When I got my HPX170 a few years ago, it came with the ring-binder HVX-HPX Book and a DVD which I still have. But this AF100 you say is coming with a book and CD? I know what you mean about folks not wanting to read. I took it on a plane and read it then and when I shot a few weddings, I had to know what I was doing so I read it again and used it as a quick reference.

Was that a CD in the HPX book then? I mean I watched it on my computer like all my movies.

So really is this Seminar going to be covering exactly what's in the book and DVD?

Last edited:
DVD for AF100

DVD for AF100

barry,

is there an ETA for when the dvd will be available? will it also be downloadable? just a thought, easier and cheaper for you and ultimately us.

Last edited:
Been reading through the book and wanted to thank you Barry for your hard work! Also great job on the Lighting and Sound DVDs. And no I am not shill. :)

Barry, hopefully you will be able to re-schedule a seminar in Texas. I would certainly drive down from OK to attend. The book is great!

Crap, my AF100 shows up tomorrow and I had added the book to my cart as well...hopefully mine doesn't have one in the box and I end up with two and a $90 book I didn't need, LOL. B&H should update their product page to make clear it comes in the box...

Purchased the AF-100 last Thursday and was pleasantly surprised to find the book in the box. Glad it was there as the owners manual doesn't explain much. Your book offers a lot more relevant information, especially for a newbie like me who hasn't shot film since college, centuries ago.

Please know that there is a larger manual on the CD that is in the box. That said, I still feel that Barry's book addresses the human interface with the camera and is well worth it to me to have it in every box. I know that because it is there people will be on a faster track in making good looking pictures because of it.

Best,

jan

Hello Barry.
The swede here.

Just wanted you to know I got my book some time ago. And I am impressed. It is really helpful. With shipping to sweden it cost me quite alot, but it was worth it.

So now you are in my "very-good-author-list" :)

Have a nice day

Glad you like it! Hopefully the shipping will be a lot less expensive if you order it from one of the European dealers who carry it (doesn't help you now, I know, but ... hopefully others will benefit).

Also, for those who didn't know, I am running a promotion -- from now until April 30, all profits from all sales of The AF100 Book (through Amazon.com) will be donated 100% to the Japan earthquake disaster relief fund.

Barry -- I'm going to get the AF100 sometime next week, should I get the book or just hold out for the DVD? I'd prefer the DVD because I learn better that way, but if you're thinking that's at least another 3 or 4 months away if that then I'll just get the book.

When I had my HVX that DVD had me rolling in like a freaking day. I never even touched the manual that came with it. Great job on your products man!

Mickey, if you don't get the book with your camera for whatever reason can you PM me? I accidentally bought it with my camera at B&H and didn't realize I had one in my box. It's still in the plastic and cost me $90 I didn't need to spend. I would give it to you cheaper but not much cheaper. Let me know if you'd like it after you buy your camera or if anyone else wants it please let me know. Really annoying to waste the money and have two lying around.

Barry -- I'm going to get the AF100 sometime next week, should I get the book or just hold out for the DVD? I'd prefer the DVD because I learn better that way, but if you're thinking that's at least another 3 or 4 months away if that then I'll just get the book.
If you're buying from an authorized dealer in the USA, the book will be free in the box.

When I had my HVX that DVD had me rolling in like a freaking day. I never even touched the manual that came with it. Great job on your products man!
Glad you liked it. The AF100 DVD will be quite similar.

If you're buying from an authorized dealer in the USA, the book will be free in the box.

Glad you liked it. The AF100 DVD will be quite similar.

Nice! I will be getting it from B&H so I guess it should be in there cool. At a glance I didn't see it on their site when I was browsing the camera.

Back