SD card advice for AF100

Like someone said earlier, the 8GB Panasonic Gold Class 10 cards can be had for $35 out there. That's practically at the point where you can shoot and hand off the card to the client. I always like to copy them over for my own archival and backup. But that becomes the point where you can hand off the car as a disposable item! Considering a year ago it was $1k for a 16GB P2 card...I think SD has finally arrived in that price/cost ratio that really fits its place in the market.

Also remember, we have 2 slots on the AF100. That's 90 minutes! If i have to shoot over that WITHOUT being able to change cards, i'll know it ahead of time..

Check out JR Music 29.99 8 gb class 10 http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPSDW08GU1K/
I got some recently for 24.99
I almost never use larger than 8gb and often use 4gb. I've been using some of the fuji high performance cards and they seem to be good as well.

I cannot record in VFR mode with my SanDisk Extreme Class 10 card. Until I figure out why this is, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one.

Have you tried another card, a different brand perhaps? And where did you purchase your SanDisk from? There are cards floating around out there that may not be what they say on the sticker.

I don't have any other cards that are higher than a class 4. I'll have to check best buy tomorrow in the hopes they'll have a class 10.

I bought it off of Amazon. It records in PH mode just fine, but when I turn on VFR it says it cannot record onto the card. and the red "R 0h00m" flashes on the display and record lamps.

So…I just popped a Transcend Class 6 SD Card into my AF-100 and was able to record a 60-frame VFR clip without issue. Based on that, I'd guess there may be something wrong with your card, or perhaps it isn't nearly as fast as advertised on the sticker.

How about Transcend?
I started shooting tapeless in August of 2009. Since that time I had 3 Transcend (16GB, class 6) and one Lexar failure. All failures with Transcend were in mildly cold conditions- about 20-25F, which really is not cold at all. Lexar died in the desert in about 95F. All failures were total and no footage could be recovered. I was shooting for 2 documentaries and it made me looks like a total amateur- sorry guys no summit footage as my card died in cold. Ever since I am only using Sandisc Extreme III (16GB class 6) and I also have one gold Panasonic 32GB class 6. I mostly use 16GB, just because if the card dies you loose less. I keep 32 GB if I am filming something longer.

I cannot record in VFR mode with my SanDisk Extreme Class 10 card. Until I figure out why this is, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one.
If you truly have a card that says SanDisk Extreme Class 10 on it, and the camera says it cannot record VFR onto that card, then I can almost guarantee you that you have a counterfeit card. Google "counterfeit SDHC card" or "counterfeit CompactFlash card" and you'll find tons of stories of just how widespread this problem is, and how realistic-looking those cards can be. We just had a member here last week ask the same question, and it turned out that his two cards he'd bought were counterfeit.

Another reason why when you hear complaints of card failures of any particular brand, you're gonna have to take them with a little bit of a grain of salt because there's really not all that much you can do to verify whether the person complaining had a legitimate card or a fake.

agreed. its very likely i have a counterfeit card. i'd avoid amazon.com marketplace sellers, if i were to amend my recommendation.

i purchased a panasonic class 10 card to verify that it is, in fact, the card thats an issue.

agreed. its very likely i have a counterfeit card. i'd avoid amazon.com marketplace sellers, if i were to amend my recommendation.

i purchased a panasonic class 10 card to verify that it is, in fact, the card thats an issue.

I got my Panasonic Gold cards from Amazon- just check the retailer- made sure mine came from Adorama. Adorama rocked for all my accessories BTW.

Another reason why when you hear complaints of card failures of any particular brand, you're gonna have to take them with a little bit of a grain of salt because there's really not all that much you can do to verify whether the person complaining had a legitimate card or a fake.
Mr Green, I bought Transcend from Newegg and Lexar from B&H, so they were legit.

What I don't understand is why go beyond class 6 recording for video. Even at 35Mbs XDCAM EX class 6 will record 720/60 without a hiccup. My understanding is (correct me if I am wrong) that the faster the card more prone to failure it will be. I poked around B&H page and was reading a lot of reviews of class 2 and 4 cards and failures were not as frequent as class 6 or 10. So why not stay with class 6 and make it more reliable?

Do not purchase from Amazon Marketplace seller BoBotechnic - the card is counterfeit. I purchased a legit SanDisk Extreme Class 10 card today from Best Buy, and VFR works now.

Panasonic Gold 16GB best deal vs performance/reliability.

But "buyer beware". When I get a chance I am going to test the Panasonic cards to see if what they say is true about regarding power loss.

Other than that I like the other pluses they have that extend the wear life of the card.

(fyi: I had and now passed down to my kids a Canon G7 with a 2 GB SanDisk Extreme. It's been washed in my shirt pocket once and another time was lost in the fall and found in the spring. After sitting under a snow bank it still works today. This in no way compares to the amount of data that is written and re-written to cards in the AF100.)

I trust Transcend more than SanDisk, as I've never had a problem with Transcend, and it's the only media I shoot on. Now if Panasonic really does have some extra features added to their cards, than it could be worth it. But Transcend has some great error checking features of their own built into their cards.

From transcends site:

.....Transcend’s SDHC Class 6 series features ECC (Error Correcting Code) to automatically detect and correct errors during data transfer, preventing data corruption and missing files. Transcends manufactures all of its SDHC cards using brand name NAND Flash chips and premium quality components to ensure robust, long-life durability and performance. For further peace of mind, all SDHC cards are comprehensively tested for compatibility and reliability, and carry Transcend’s renowned Lifetime Warranty.

Back