Photos from the "old days"

... P.S. I was just kidding about the Spirytus in them (I doubt anyone would make chocolates with it), but they do have Vodka, obviously.
The Russian was supposed to have cognac. Or rum. I remember biting into one a gazillion years ago and not being overly impressed. Too gooey. They're pretty common in the US stores though. A decent box can run upward of $50.

A kindler, gentler photo from the 1978. A girl eating an ice cream cone.

73ce9ce5c28ed8ab0673bde143b86087_ce_405x600x0x0_cropped_405x600.webp

Soviet milk bottles stored in the specially built for them cases (or cassettes). We stole these cases and built hockey goals from them (OK, build is a strong word ... we just placed one on top of the other)

1417459680_4.jpg

From 1978, called "Uncle Nicolai", by Mikhail Dashevsky. The catch is that the poor farmer is only 43.

%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B7%D1%8C-%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D1%8F-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE-6688189.jpeg

Now that's just one of those kind of unconventional, "weird feeling", bad-ass shots. Luck? Patience? Staged? Composite?
A local photographer (Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania), probably staked out his spot over several years. In terms of architecture, Vilnius has some very old buildings, a bunch of the Soviet style panel style apartments and a few hand-made - literally - projects. Personally, I have no idea where this was taken but odds are that every resident of the city would.

Eu-SZt-XAAQAfip?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

A "Hall of Shame" board at a Pyatigorsk drunk tank, with their Top 15. The winner is one Valeriy Khachaturian with 135 arrests; #2 is with 48, #3 is with 45

Actor, singer, songwriter, screenwriter and, generally speaking, the most brilliant man in the universe, Vladimir Vyssotsky with his mid-1970's Mercedes Benz, presumably the only one in the USSR.

1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	5673645

Vyssotsky had a drinking problem, on top of a drug addiction, and promptly crashed the vehicle into something or other. No repairs could be carried out.

The performer died in 1980 at the age of 42, having written about 600 songs (most of which was banned in the USSR at the time of his death and were copied from one tape recorder to another)

I saw someone similar the other day but he wasn't as good. Something about war.

The guy above is probably better.

Back