The Travel Diaries

GMC

Loneliness, detached, overwhelmed, fascinated, homesick - a year of travelling around the globe on business trips.

I flew 6 times around the world, spent 1.5 weeks (net) in airplanes 2011 and collected shots the whole year for this project.

I walked for hours around airports to get the one shot, got nearly arrested at Chicago O'Hare but had some good luck too!

Filmed at Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Chicago, Houston, Dubai, Frankfurt and my home - airport Vienna.

Shot on Lumix GH1 and GH2 (both hacked), by making use of the ETC mode on the GH2 I was able to get up to 3200mm equiv. focal length.

Hope you enjoy this!

follow me on twitter: twitter.com/GunMac

Gunther, that was well worth the effort. The choice of piece of music really brought up the production value. Thanks for sharing.

Not to say I didn't like the rest of the film (it was amazing!), but I gotta say, those airplane shots are stunning! Probably the most steady I've seen coming from the GH1/2, how did you manage to shoot at those focal lengths and not have it bounce around? I understand that slowing it down helped, but even then it looked extra smooth!

Cheers!
Simon

Not to say I didn't like the rest of the film (it was amazing!), but I gotta say, those airplane shots are stunning! Probably the most steady I've seen coming from the GH1/2, how did you manage to shoot at those focal lengths and not have it bounce around? I understand that slowing it down helped, but even then it looked extra smooth!

Cheers!
Simon

Dear Simon, thanks! There is almost no rolling shutter in the ETC mode, that allows for post- stabilization. This makes it extra smooth. Of course it costs some resolution, but that's not too bad.

That was absolutely stunning man. Thank you for sharing! I'm also curious as to how you achieved so much stability in so many of the shots. Just doesn't seem possible without some kind of shoulder rig. You carried a tripod around with you everywehre on business trips?

Would like to hear more about the shooting process.

That was absolutely stunning man. Thank you for sharing! I'm also curious as to how you achieved so much stability in so many of the shots. Just doesn't seem possible without some kind of shoulder rig. You carried a tripod around with you everywehre on business trips?

Would like to hear more about the shooting process.

Thank you. For stability I always use a rice bag to place the cam on a solid object (wall, etc...). I don't have a shoulder rig or tripod, for traveling I just have a small camera bag.

The shots of the landing planes were stabilized in post, as the ETC mode of the GH2 shows very little jello.

This is really awesome! I'm quite a newb when it comes to shooting, so I am ridiculously curious how you got those gorgeous time lapse night shots of the cars driving around? I get mud and banding at night, did you experience any of this in your footage? If so, how did you end up with such beautiful footage? And how did you pan on top of it all!? Was this all stabilization in post or something you did in camera while shooting? Sorry for so many questions!! : ) Thanks!!!

This is really awesome! I'm quite a newb when it comes to shooting, so I am ridiculously curious how you got those gorgeous time lapse night shots of the cars driving around? I get mud and banding at night, did you experience any of this in your footage? If so, how did you end up with such beautiful footage? And how did you pan on top of it all!? Was this all stabilization in post or something you did in camera while shooting? Sorry for so many questions!! : ) Thanks!!!

This was a timelapse shot with the 20mm f1.7 pancake. Photographs with 1sec exposure, put into a 1080p24 timeline (duration = 1 frame), then played back at 24fps.

Back